50% of Hard drive filled by "Other" space in lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BalaBoom, Jul 2, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Take a look at this,
    [​IMG]
    More than half of my hard drive space turned unusable after I installed lion GM. What's going on?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors member

4. zin
    macrumors 6502

On a slightly unrelated note, which application are you using to gain that graphic of your hard drive space?

5. macrumors newbie

To get this screen, you went to About this Mac -> More information and clicked the Storage tab, right?

"Other" is just "neither media nor apps". For example your email, your VM images, all your office documents, system files such as fonts and printer drivers, etc.

6. macrumors 6502

Mine just shows as all 'Other', I upgraded from SL, so am presuming to get this working properly it requires a clean installation of 10.7?

7. freedevil, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Edit: Oopss irrelevant, the yellows confused me

8. macrumors 68000

9. macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's built into Lion as far as I'm aware.

10. zin
    macrumors 6502

Many thanks.

11. macrumors newbie

Same issue for me too.

I've run into the same issue as well. Can't seem to locate the files that are taking up this "other" space. Did you have any luck identifying the problem?

12. tkermit, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

macrumors 68030

tkermit

It just requires Spotlight to be turned on for the drive.

I don't really see the problem here. The space is occupied by something, it's just that it's not specified what exactly that something is. You can use any of the programs mentioned in the second post to find out more.

Note that whatever is counted as "Backup" here will be shown as free space in the Finder. So, in my case, Finder shows 29.3GB (20.04+9.26) as available on my main (Lion) disk.

[​IMG]

13. macrumors newbie

Solution for me

Guys,
    I had the same problem. My hd was filled with the "other" files. Omnidisk did not find it, and it wasn't a cache problem. I was doing my backup to format my HD and I noticed that my trash was filled. So I clicked to empty it and boom, it found like 10 thousands files and took a while to empty. I went to the storage viewer and the "other" vanished!!!
    Maybe that has something with the bug on Lion that when you try to delete a file it asks you your password.
    So the "other" files for me where in the damn trash can, that's why the omnidisk wasn't finding them.
    Hope I could help you!

Oh, and before, my trash can icon was showing empty, so take a good look on it.

14. macrumors 68000

I bought an SSD that was smaller than my stock internal drive and saw this come up for me also. I was searching for an answer to this same question and ran into

http://toti.posterous.com/hidden-local-backups-with-mac-os-x-lion-filli

that shows if you are running Time Machine and start your Mac without being connected to the TM backup drive, your Mac will create that backup on your internet drive, taking up that "other" space.

Apparently, you can run OmniDisk Sweeper to see the files and delete them if you want to, freeing up that space./

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors 6502a

17. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

18. macrumors member

Other people have posted this, but other is pretty much everything else that dosen't fit in the other categories. Just letting you know. :cool:

19. yinz, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the hard work! My search doesn't have that + to add criteria. Any idea why? I can't limit it to 50gb without this correct?

Yep, already knew that.

20. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take a screen shot of your Finder window with something typed in the search field and post it.

21. yinz, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

macrumors 6502a

22. macrumors newbie

http://superuser.com/questions/3138...ord-whenever-i-delete-a-file-in-my-home-direc

Solved my problem. Whenever i would delete something finder would ask for my password and the file wouldn't go to my trash. I didn't think anything of it. I started to accumulate 'other' and omnidisk couldn't find anything. I followed that post and corrected the trash back to my username and bam......all my space that i couldn't find was there in the trash that was invisible before. Deleted it all and solved the problem.