$50 rebate on Jaguar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chmorley, Jul 26, 2002.

1. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I just saw this on MacNN:

Deals notes: Amazon.com is apparently offering a $50 mail-in rebate on Mac OS X 10.2.

For the math-impaired, that brings the price to $79.99.

Yes, I saw that this was just posted in another one of the active Jaguar threads, but thought it would be seen by more people if it had its own.

Chris

2. bunton macrumors member

re bate my back side

it isnt about how much money it is the fact that we just got 10 and now we got to pay anything more than S/H for a point one .1 !!! upgrade

go fork yourself

3. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

K. Don't buy it.

Maybe they should have released the same thing, but called it 10.999999. Then maybe people would get it.

By all measures, this seems a bigger upgrade than 8.1-8.5 or 8.5-9.0. People are getting hung up on the numbering thing. I was around for those. They didn't compare to this. Of course, you didn't pay for those, so you have no reference point. You have simply decided the world should be more fair than it is.

Get over it.

And why would you be upset with me, anyway? That's moronic.

Chris

4. onemoof macrumors member

Don't get so mad at Apple for charging the upgrade fee, they've been working hard to keep bringing new features to OSX. In recent years we've seen so many new features coming out much quicker than in the past, this upgrade definitely looks more worthwhile than any previous jump.

If Apple had delayed 10.2 another 6 months maybe people would be more happy? Or perhaps people would complain about it taking too long for upgrades to surface.

5. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Exactly!

If you compare this to 8.1-8.5 (paid upgrade) 0r 9.1-9.2 (free download), there is no comparison. You can't say 9.1-9.2 offered as many new features. 8.1-8.5 didn't, either. For that matter, neither did 8.5-9.0. 10.1-10.2 is much bigger.

Many (most?) of the people who are complaining about having to pay don't work for a living. They don't understand that it's important to get paid for your work so you can pay your mortgage and support your family. They are only thinking about having to give up beer money for 2 weeks. Tragedy.

Oh well.

Chris

6. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned this elsewhere in the forums. BUt i'll speak it up again.

Imagine this, if you will. Mac OS 8.0. Upgrades to 8.1. Ok. Free download. Perfect.

Let's think of how OS X is named, and what the free downloads are. If you read the bottom of your original 10.0.0 box, it's listed as OS X ver 1.0.

When you uprgraded to OS 10.0.1, then it would be, by this convention, OS X ver 1.0.1.

OS X.1 was released, essentially free, and would be OS X ver 1.1.

Now we're getting OS X.2 By the above naming convention, it would be OS X version 2.0. We'll get a 2.1 update for free sometimes after the release. So, there you have it. It's NOT 8.0-8.1. It's more like 8.6-9.0

Get me??

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Complaining and more...

OK! The price is $129 for most of use, and $19.95 for people who just bought OS X or just bought a new Mac.

You either pay the money and get the OS or you shut the he|| up and quit whining and complaing. It was not free for Apple to develop OS X.2. The same is true for iTools/.Mac, which was a major loss for Apple. Now you have a choice pay $49 for the first year and $99 later or you just don't get the services. It's that simple. Please, stop the whining. Find something better to do. If you are still mad, call Apple and complain to them, not here! :eek: :eek: :cool:

8. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Complaining and more...

Agreed, except it is $79 if you get it from Amazon with this coupon!

The point of this thread is to make sure everyone is aware of this.

Chris

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Re: Re: Complaining and more...

My post wasn't directed at you for your good new, but at the other complainers here. :)

10. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Re: $50 rebate on Jaguar

Sweet, dude. You totally rock.

11. dricci macrumors 6502a

Ahhh.. If I would have known Amazon was going to give $50 rebates then I would have pre-ordered with them.. I already put my name on the "in-store" list at my local Apple Store though :(

Ah well, I've never had much luck with getting rebates back, anyways.

12. awrc macrumors regular

Hmm, I won't order from Amazon until I see a link from the Jaguar product page to the rebate JPEG. Until then, for all we know it's one of a number of possible rebate schemes they're considering and not meant for mortal eyes. Should find out on the 29th, since that's the opening date on the rebate form.

Interesting to note that currently Jaguar is #2 on Amazon's "Movers And Shakers" list, up 19880%. I wonder why :D

Might also to be interest to see what sort of effect this has on Apple - no idea what the wholesale price for Jaguar is, but I'd bet that a large percentage of people buying from Amazon at $80 makes Apple a whole lot less money than if they buy it from Apple at $80. Wonder if they've got a rebate in the works...