500,000 Americans March Over The Nation's Capital

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Oct 23, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Clovis, California
    How bad would things have to get before that actually happened? We as Americans for the most part are not happy with the way our elected officials are running this country, but lets face it, we cannot afford to leave our jobs behind for a few days to mass at the steps of Washintion D.C. So at what point would you say when we as Americans, would be so frustrated and mad about it, that we would make that march?

2. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    A million protesters once marched - I think is was the May Day demonstration against the Vietnam war. Not positive though.
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You may get your wish if the integrity of the upcoming Congressional elections
    comes too much into question.

Of course the media will do it's customary part to keep everyone pacified and complacent.
  4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    That's a really good question, and I've often wondered myself how many people it'll take -- losing good jobs for ones that pay $6/hr., having their kids come home from this bogus war in a box, getting deeper into debt and seeing their homes foreclosed, watching their government become more and more powerful while they become less so -- before we have some kind of mass revolt in this country.

Sadly, this is not the '60s. They had an entire counterculture which fueled the desire for change, and it was based in optimism. Utopian, perhaps, but optimism nonetheless.

The sea change that is about to come -- Republicans to Dems -- is a rejection of the corrupt religious right (finally!), but it is hardly based in optimism, since most people believe that both the Dems and Republicans are bought. Americans seem to have set themselves on a really modest goal: something less bad than the wackos that have been running Washington the last quarter century. Better, but hardly inspirational.

Anyway, with the Democrats gaining some power, some of the incentive for the kind of mass protest you speak of will be removed. Bought they may be, but as long as the Democrats don't continue the ruinous policies of the far right, they will be viewed as making progress, and that'll keep the people at large from descending on Washington with torches and pitchforks.
  5. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    It would have to take something really bad that actually affects people personally before they'd deviate from their normal, busy every day lives. At this point, the concept is too large for most people to realize they're already affected. The growing dissent will be shown at the polls, but if that doesn't do it and more people become angry rather than just being disaffected, things could get violent.

If things got bad enough though, I wonder if the gov would further crack down, which would just further the dissent, so it would become a vicious cycle.
  6. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    Ill believe it when I see it. I have little to no hopes that the upcomming election will bring any change. The Republicans wont lose anything.
    This was the same atmosphere as it was in the last presidential election and George was still elected.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    They barely won then, and people are a lot more pissed this time. Look at the fallout from Katrina, and the latest polls on Iraq. They made strides in 2005, I expect them to get a little ahead now. Maybe not as much as people are hoping, but still some.

Which is probably better, because by '08 people will be completely fed up with the neocon agenda which will hopefully push us back into moderate territory.