Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I imagine that the success of the iTunes movie store will only accelerate the development of iTV and a "true" video iPod. I imagine Disney and other partners will be saying, "we could sell even more movies if people had an easy way to play them on their TV at home."

Anyone notice that Disney said they expect to get $50M in the first year, but have only done $4M so far? I wonder if they know something that we don't that will drive this rapid growth.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone notice that Disney said they expect to get $50M in the first year, but have only done $4M so far? I wonder if they know something that we don't that will drive this rapid growth.

The first month saw 100,000 sales, which means there were 400,000 sales in the second month.

Sales are growing quickly in the US, plus the "worldwide in 2007" promise means lot's more potential growth for 2007. I think Disney will easily pass the $50 million mark by the iTunes Movie Store's first birthday in September '07.

Then there's 'iTV' and the 'Video' iPod...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Good news! I hope this will be a continuation of the story recently with the iPod / Zune... MS gets out a nice sounding technological platform but does not develop the media distribution. Not that the Zune is even compatible with Plays for Sure, but the entire Plays for Sure empire has sold so few songs in comparison to iTunes. And MS has movie downloads working right now via XBox, but Apple is the one selling movies in quantity. :) Now they just need to work on doing a great job on the iTV or whatever they call it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.