$5000 Grant, but Dell's only!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mintlivedotcom, Mar 28, 2005.

1. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I am not sure if this is the best section to post this, but...

I am applying for a grant for up to $5000 and have a very good chance of getting it. I want to use the money to purchase three eMacs, digital cameras, a digital camcorder, and accessories (iSight, tripod, mics, etc.).

The problem is, my school district has moved to Dells and officially does not support OS X. I asked for clarification and I got a reply that stated I cannot purchase any Apple computer and that Windows Movie Maker et all should provide me with the means to do what I want to do (create/burn DVDs, edit/share movies and photos, produce music).

So, does anyone have any advice? I just emailed them back, saying, "since I have no idea how to do any of the above on a Dell, will they provide training for me?"

I am truely disgusted with the whole matter.
  2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    You should be disgusted. Your school is misquided. The only thing you can do is try to convince the higher powers that you'll be more efficient with Macs and that the impact on the network will be negligable.
  3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    Milky Way

I just got a 5000 dollar grant from my church to purchase a new computer for our AV department and they said only Dell also. I obviously was not in agreement and decided to change their minds. I brought in my PB and showed the council what it can accomplish OUT OF THE BOX with iLife and then what a cheap add-on like iWork can do. It wowed them all. That was the end of that!

So to make a short story even shorter, I just received a decked out PM 2.5 this morning.

My advice, get an audience with them and show them what you can accomplish out of the box. It worked for me.
  4. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I wish that would work, but I think it may have something to do with the district's network. For security purposes, they don't want two operating systems (even though some principal's use OS X and I use OS 9 AND XP).

I think I could set up a meeting and show them on my wife's new iBook.
  5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    So they want one security incident to be able to take down all the computers at once?

It's harder to kill a whole network when it's composed of different types of systems.
  6. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I agree completely. In fact, just a couple of years ago, the district bought a few iBook labs for different schools (ours has two). Since then, Dells have been the new computers (I received a Dell laptop this school year).

It's bad enough I have to deal with "administrator's access" to be able to even PRINT to a printer located one foot away from my laptop. Restrictions on what can or cannot be done is mind-boggling. I've even waited 5 months to be able to use two-way webcam chats for a student who is homebound and has never attended school, due to a disease.
  7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I suppose the equivalent would be receiving a gift card to Wal-Mart that you can only spend on Spam, potted meat, and fatback.
  8. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    That comment made my day. I was really bummed when I heard the bad news, but I laughed when I read that! Thanks.
  9. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    Here's what you should do:

1. Use the grant to buy a Dell. Don't even open the box when it comes.

2. Sell it on ebay or Craig's List.

3. Buy a Mac with the proceeds.

Compairing iMovie to Windows Movie Maker is comical. Who ever said this either a) has not used both or b) was fibbing to placate you.
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    No kidding! That is disgusting that you're being forced to use a Dell. I mean jesus, the least they can do is send you to Sager or something. Anything but Dell!

Can you see it? "I made this movie using Dell!" Stupid asshats!

However, the security is that they have network techs that are probably not trained on mac osx and therefore they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if you brought in another computer with a different OS.

I seriously can't believe they are encouraging you to use an MS product to edit movies. You may as well replace photoshop with MS Paint too!