500GB drives for MacPro internal RAID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PowerMike G5, Aug 10, 2006.

1. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2005
    New York, NY
    So I just bought a Quad 3Ghz mac pro (which arrives tomorrow). I am looking to build an internal Raid and am wondering what 500GB drives you guys reccommend. I will be using a 10,000 150GB Raptor as my boot drive and the 3-drive Raid as my media drive. Are there any brands you suggest for this or does this even matter?
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It's probably not a big deal one way or the other, but I'd probably consider Seagate just because they're who Apple's been using lately, and they have a 5 year warranty. Honestly, though, I doubt there's a huge difference between any of the major manufacturers--I might go WD just to support the only "little guy" left in the business, but you're already buying a Raptor anyway.
  3. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    If you only want 500GB, I would go for WD RE2 which is optimized for RAID and has higher MTBF.
  4. bloosqr macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2004
    I have two cheap WD 500 gig drives mirrored internal and the sonnet-x for external on a G5. I hate to say it but macs implementation of software raid is really brain dead... In retrospect it would have been much better to put this on a linux box... everywhere from software raid-5 to the ability to grow the file system as you add more drives... i.e. a proper LVM ...

at least the server version of of mac os x needs to have these functionalities in the OS..