500GB Lacie d2 extreme VS. 500GB Lacie Big Disk Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Temujin, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I'm deciding what drive I should get. I'll be using the drive for video editing and a bit of storage.

The Big Disk has 16mb cache, where the d2 only has 8.
    - Would I notice a difference?

I have two d2 drives, they're daisy chained, and I would like to add the new drive to the chain.
    - I gather The Big Disk would fit in the chain with no problems at all, right?

I quite like the compacter d2 ones, would fit right in with the two I've got.
    A noticeable performance increase might make me reconsider.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Probably not a lot of performance difference. But the Big Disk has two drives which makes it twice more likely to fail.

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I have the Big Disk 500. It's performance is great for video editing.

One problem I have with it is that it only has 1-FW 400 connection. Since all of my other drives and computers are FW 400 this was a problem when I first got it and was trying to edit some video at home on the 12" PB with only one FW 400 port for the camera and external drive. I ended up using an old iMac DV 400 Mhz to capture the footage to the External Drive and then edit on the PB.

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Lately, I have been all about 3.5 inch drive enclosures and buying my own drives.. I picked up a 500 GB hd for $179 at Frys and spent about $50 on an enclosure with both USB2.0 and eSATA. I have a MBP and could easily pick up an expresscard esata interface if I wanted super fast disk access...

What I liki about the enclosure is that I can easily upgrade the HD if I want something new.. I know have just under a terabyte of raw storage at home.. Plenty for both backup and use...

5. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks guys. Didn't realise the Big Disk had two drives, I'll probably get the d2 version then.

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Mine is a LaCie d2 BIG DISK EXTREME.

Is there just a d2 that is not a BIG DISK and/or EXTREME?

If so what's the difference?

7. KarlEdmunds macrumors member

Not completely true, besides are these disks in a raid array? That would be a really useful.