500GB or Applecare plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac-Addict, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

500GB or Applecare plan in my iMac 24inch coming christmas?

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I say hard drive. You can always get applecare a year from now when you have money saved up. Just my opinion though.

Nuc

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this is a tough one. do you need the extra 250GB of storage space? can you foresee your iMac getting damaged?

i would go for AppleCare only because 250GB (standard HD size) is a huge amount. if, later on, you wanted more space, you could get an external HD.

4. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yeah I will have a video collection of like 50gb and song and picture collection of 10gb plus i would much rather be safe than sorry. Thanks dudes...

5. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Like Nuc said, go for the 500 gig upgrade, I have it on my iMac and I love never having to think twice about hard drive space, use your iMac for one year, if you start to think it will damage after that, then go ahead and purchase AppleCare...goodluck :)

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you would rather be safe than sorry....put the money into an external HD so you can have an easy way to back up all your files

7. dcv macrumors G3

I say hard drive - those things fill up a lot faster than you think. You can purchase the additional AppleCare warranty at any point within the first year.

8. Mundy macrumors regular

In the case of the iMac, definitely go for the upgraded hard drive, for three reasons:

(1) It's very hard to upgrade the internal hard drive on the iMac.

(2) Getting a 500 GB hard drive guarantees that it will have 16 MB of cache. Thre is no such guarantee with a 250 GB hard drive.

(3) You can buy AppleCare later. You can't (easily) upgrade to a 500 GB internal hard drive later.

9. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Sorry to bust in on this post, but I don't understand... you can buy applecare up to a year after you've purchased the machine? That doesn't sound right to me.. Do they still give you a full 3 year warranty period, or do they subtract the amount of time you've had it?

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Regardless of when in the first year you purchase and activate AppleCare, it extends the warranty on the machine to three years from the date of purchase of the machine.

11. wchong macrumors 6502

they will make it three years TOTAL, which means that if you buy it after a year, you will only get 2 years more.

what does the "complimentary support" from apple consist of? Do they just help you out through the phone?

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think like 90 day phone support free, and 1 yr parts and labor

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i say go for the extra space, as long as you'll use it. you have a whole year to scrounge up the money for applecare, and in the meantime, you'll be covered anyways.

14. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Ok that makes sense now. I was under the impression that Apple gave a 90 day warranty for hardware. If the hardware warranty is a year, then I say go for the hard drive.

15. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I get it now xD I didn't know you could buy applecare plan after u have bought the machine.. sorry but yeah Ok i will go for the 500gb :)

16. Foggy macrumors 6502a

In the UK, by law, they have to give a minimum of a 12 month warranty.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yup, I agree. You're going to pay for the first 250gb one way or another. If you want 500gb in 10 months, you have to buy all 500gb all over again, as opposed to just buying "the second half".

You can get AppleCare later for the same net price though.

18. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

can you really purchase AppleCare anytime?

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...phone support is 90 days, but hardware warranty is one year. Which can be tricky, because if you call up with what you think is a warranty issue after 90 days and it turns out not to be, they'll charge you for the phone support. But you can always run out and buy AppleCare the moment you realize you need to call them in order to make sure you're covered for the phone support.

Yes...anytime within one year of purchase of the covered computer. We're not lying to you. ;)

20. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yup - anytime within the first year, anyway :)

EDIT : Beatin by Wild Cowboy...:(

21. generik macrumors 601

generik

Applecare plan, in a year's time that $500 drive will cost peanuts, but your Applecare still costs the same!

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But it depends on whether you're okay with an external drive. You won't be able to pop that hard drive into your iMac without risking serious warranty issues. Your AppleCare isn't much good if you've voided it by cracking open your computer.

23. generik macrumors 601

generik

That drive isn't user replaceable?

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope...only Rev A and B G5 iMacs. Rev C G5 and all Intel iMacs do not have user-replaceable hard drives.

25. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Another quick question about applecare: Can it be renewed after the 3 years is up?