50TB dvd-size discs - Blu-ray/HD-DVD about to be obsolete?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

New Research Promises 50TB on DVD-size Discs (DailyTech)

The PS3's Blu-ray bomb suddenly seems so very small...

Several people in this forum said they thought Blu-ray/HD-DVD would get replaced before they ever took market dominance, and here is some evidence to support that.

If a 30GB HD-DVD disc is too little (as has been suggested by people on this forum), then a 50GB Blu-ray disc will also quickly become to limiting... but how about 50TB? Now that is a substantial leap in technology!

Of course... who would even want to imagine the load times for a game that was even 1TB? Ugh...

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was one of those people and I still believe it :D

More and more evidence points to this end.

HD-DVD & BluRay are and will be transitional hardware at best.

3. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Well... kind of everything is transitional. we're alway waiting for something better to come out. :)

And to reply to original post, I don't think that it make it's obolete cause those 50TB disk sure gonna cost a lot and i don't see how on earth we could make a game over a TB right WITHOUT being just too long... and about load time, it wouldn't change much computer don't load everything from the game it just take what it need.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Think about practicality here. A 50tb disc may be pretty cool for people who want near-infinite backup on a disc or something, but when we are comparing it to Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the issue is really if it is more viable for the task of movies. Blu-Ray holds more than enough data for a 3 hour 1080p movie. Add another 50tb to the disc capacity and what's it gonna be used for? nothing. It's not like they would start selling discs that have a thousand movies on them.

Super high capacity discs are good, because then we could use discs the size of Gamecube discs with no worries about storage. However, most people I'm sure would still prefer drives large enough to handle DVD-sized discs so that they would not need to replace their existing CD and DVD collection.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

This is ccool stuff but I would say this is more likely to replace hard drives than blueray/HDVD. It's cool to see biotech beggining to merge into a mechanical realm like this.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well biotech stuff has been used for a while. the most common I can think of is OLED displays. and of course powering an LED from a potato or lemon is fun. I even saw an art piece that powered a bulb from bacteria. that smelt a little bad.

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

That disc sounds nice, but as I've said in many threads before. Holographic is the way to go... if only they wanted to go consumer as much as I want them to..

Did anyone hear about Sony and how the blue ray eye or something like that is in shortage now?

8. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It's true, 50TB is overkill at this point. But a single-sided BD is only 25GB and I think when you consider quality and extras this amount is easily going to be too little. 50GB for the dual-layer could quickly become too little as well.

My reasons for believing this is because somewhere along the way quality gets compromised because of disk space. A movie could be encoded in 1080p with full hq audio and then leave less room for extras. The extras then end up getting low quality. I don't know how many DVDs I've watched where the trailers included as well as other extras were really poor quality.

50GB is likely not going to be enough to store a full movie, all extras, and all audio with lossless compression.

50TB, to me, says "no limit in size", that doesn't mean every disc would be 50TB, they could be far far less, with the limit at 50TB.

Lossless compression is the best way to go, whether that be video, images, audio, or textures. Even fully orchestrated music stored lossless with 10.2 distinct audio tracks would be a beast in disk space consumption...

50GB is relatively small, when compared to standard harddrives these days.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That could a new meaning to the term "virus" if someone were to create an *actual* virus that infects the bacteria ;)

10. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

You're right. 50TB even leaves room for Professor Vencatesan Renugopalakrishnan to sign his name.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Well I don't really mind about disk capacity.

What could make this format better than Blu-ray and HD DVD to my taste is:

A) Universal Format - No two competing formats. A disk works in all competing players, like DVD.

B) No crippling DRM - Somewhat unlikely because it's the owners of the content that pushes for those annoying DRMs. Blu-Ray scares me a little with it's BD+ scheme.

Of course, the huge capacity could be an added bonus and allow for some future-proofing, provided it doesn't raise the cost drastically.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member