50th Anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 17, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    Today marks fifty years since the landmark decision overturning of the discriminatory "separate but equal" doctrine in Public Education.

Here's a "virtual" toast of remembrance to Thurgood Marshall and all the other men and women who made this victory possible.
  2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    We are still wrestling with the issue down here. Now the issue has become that the remaining segregated schools. (i.e. all black) are community schools, so now they have to bus the kids all over to comply with the lawsuit. And their parents are upset. (I can understand, I wouldn't want my kid going to school in another town just so he could go to a racially balanced school.)

Here is an example of the problems we are having.

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    In 1940, education and social services accounting for 20.8% of all Federal spending (national defence accounted for 17.5%). Today, education and social services account for 3.7% of all Federal spending (national defense equals 19.6%) Or said another way, today the Federal education budget equals 6 percent of the defence budget.

Imagine what our public schools would look like if education equaled ten percent of the Federal budget. (This would mean a $144 billion increase in spending.)

My point: Brown vs Board of Education was a major step forward in ending segregation. Another major step forward is needed to improve public education.
  4. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    ahh curses brown vs board of education...
    The true meaning of segregation has been hotly debated, especially in a place like Los Angeles, where around 70% of the students are Latino or of Latino heritage.
    That can be interpreted in two different ways: Brown vs Board helped, LAUSD schools are NOT segregated because there are more minorities OR that Brown vs. Board didnt affect anything, because schools are not entirely segregated because 70% of all students are Latino. WTF?!

About a week ago there was a PBS special on the anniversary, called Beyond Brown. Overall it was a decent program, and i would have thought it was okay, except one of the schools it used as an example of Brown vs. Board not working was the school I attend: North Hollywood HS (specifically the highly gifted magnet). They mentioned how a very large portion of the school's students are African American/Latino, but in the HGM, there are only a handful, most notably two African American seniors.
    One could argue that having an overwhelming majority of caucasian/asian students in the HGM, and an overwhelming majority of the latino/african american students in remedial classes is what Brown vs. Board tried to get rid of. But ARGH people interpret it the way they want to, frustrating everyone else. Most notably President Bush and his goddamned No Child Left Behind act....why is it that the HGM has to rely on donations to buy things, when special ed classes and underachieving schools get heaps of money piled on them?
    Anyway, i should stop ranting, the whole thing is just making me unhappier.