512mb 6800 ultra

Discussion in 'Games' started by homerjward, Apr 29, 2005.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    well, it's finally happened. there's a 6800 ultra with 512mb of ram. it's also factory overclocked and sells for $1000 from tiger direct. or alienware w/ a new pc. or falcon nw. and it's spreading. in an sli system that's 1 freakin gig of video ram. im sorry i just had to mention this.
  2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    That is crazy. And here I sit with both of my Macs only having 32MB. A few years ago, that was great to have. Now it is not even enough to run everything in Tiger. Oh well...
  3. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

Mar 7, 2005
    Outback Australia
    Why did you have to tell us this, the whinging will begin again as to why macs don't have them as well

Although SLi with two of those would be interesting :D
  4. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    That video card ships with more memory than alot of apple computers.
  5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    hmm comparing a $1000 Graphics card to a $499 computer just doesn't seem right.
  6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    That's was more RAM than a $3000 Powermac until recently...
  7. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    well, considering that memory is extremely cheap now, I don't see why this is such a big deal. My brother just got 2gb (4x 512mb) from New Egg for $160 shipped.
  8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Hah! I have 8 MB of VRAM on an old Power Computing clone! That was kick ass when it was new!

Seriously, what do you need 512MB of VRAM for?
  9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005

Doom 3 on ultra on 30 inch display??? :D :D
  10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Gaming... HD gaming... :D

8 MB? Wow, seriously, that's impressive. The TiBooks have that much, or close.
  11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    If you run in SLI, you don't add up the video memory. It would remain 512mb even though each card has that amount.
  12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Yup. It has Marathon 2 installed on there (maybe a Demo of it, don't remember) and while the quality isn't as good as Halo on my PowerBook, it runs very nicely.

It is, BTW, a PCI card. There are no AGP slots in it, nor NuBus. No ISA either, but that's a given.

If OS 8.6 used something like Quartz or CoreImage it would work nicely.
  13. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    But... you realise he's talking about video memory, right? Not your regular system RAM. :rolleyes:

14. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Don't know where you live, but I can assure you that GDDR3 is a crapload more expensive than normal RAM.
  15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Wow if Apple's version sucks down 105W, I wonder how much that thing would be sucking down. :eek:
  16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004

A Mac Mini takes only 65W total! :eek:
  17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Someone should try flashing one of these and putting it into a G5? :confused:
  18. fedora macrumors member

Jun 30, 2004
    whats so amazing about this it's still not really a consumer card, and there are far better pro GPU's avalible than this.
  19. JD92 macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    Wow :eek: . I don't know much about graphics cards for macs, but wouldn't a PCI bus seriously limit the performance, since if you compare, for example, a GeForce 4 MX PCI to the same card on AGP, the AGP model get about 50% higher performance
  20. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    PCI express
  21. spinner macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2002
    South Dakota
    He's talking about a 8-9 year old machine with an ancient vid card.
  22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Lemme tell you something, sonny. This was back when you measured RAM speed in something called "ns" and this ATA thing with only TWO settings was a foreign dream... yeah, 7 different SCSI bus settings with 4 jumpers per drive were a PITA to get goin. You young'un probably don't even remember what a 603e was, and what it meant to run OS 8 on there instead of System 7. Damn, I can still remember that 2 GB hard drive with the 4x CD-ROM and Jazz 1 GB drive... that thing flew with 96MB of RAM. All in pairs.... yup, the good old days when you HAD to pair RAM, not like now where it isn't needed but to get extra performance. Whats a few extra seconds, anyway?

...was in the distance, over the horizon, on a planet known as Mars. This was a time when if you had a PCI video card over a NuBus video card, you couldn't tap the bandwidth of PCI no matter WHAT. :)
  23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    mmmm, yummy

and with Tiger using the graphics card for a lot of things, that would be quite nice. I hope by the time I buy a new PowerMac that something like this is available :D

24. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    Frankly, after reading how Quartz 2D Extreme works, this card should really be coming to the Mac instead of the Wintel. Games these days aren't even filling up the 128 MB texture and frame-buffer in most cards (Doom 3 and Far Cry come close though), let alone 256 or 512; other things are much more limiting factors. But Quartz 2D Extreme caches as much graphical stuff onto the graphics card as possible, even text glyphs, so that all the CPU has to do is send comparatively tiny drawing commands to the graphics card, and it's carried out at the insane speeds internal to the graphics card; for software guys, think PICT on hardware steroids. This of course takes up a lot of video memory, but hot damn does it mean amazing rendering speeds of... anything, since the entire screen becomes multiple layered OpenGL textures on a single plane.

Now if only Apple would enable Q2DE by default instead of making us use Quartz Debug (10.4.1, I'm looking at you) to enable it...
  25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    What is Quartz 2D Extreme vs. Quartz Debug?
    How do we enable Q2DE and should we?