512mb macbook worth while

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acoustics940, Dec 23, 2006.

1. acoustics940 macrumors member

I will be purchasing a mac very soon and have still not decided on what to get. I am looking at powerbooks ibooks and the $799 refurbished macbooks. I am a student and cant spend over $800 really the macbook looks good but I have read alot that with 512mb is is just slow is this true?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I just bought a macbook and went straight for the white 2mhz with 1gb ram. 512 is slow on windows and i can only imagine what i would be like for os x

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Contrary to popular belief, its not that bad. :)

4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

My Macbook is the entry level Macbook with 512. I have no problems. For what I want to do with my computer, it's good enough.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's OK. I upgraded to 1.25GB RAM and it feels like a whole new computer though...

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm on an iBook G4 and I usually have Firefox open with 5-20 tabs, Adium, Thunderbird, and iTunes and 512MB handles well, except for the occasional beach ball.

7. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

It'll probably be OK. Besides, you can always put more in later. I was actually looking at the Apple Store refurbs earlier today, and was wondering who the hell would buy an iBook for $799 when you could get a MacBook for the same price.

8. mrploddy macrumors member

Depends on what you're gonna use it for. For light work on Office / Itunes it's fine. But if you're gonna push it with CS2 apps or heavy duty video you WILL need the extra ram.

But dont forget, ram is user upgradeable. You can pick up some sticks cheap from macsales and upgrade later when you can afford to.

-mrploddy

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hehe, net true. Office in not universal yet, so it will eat up RAM as crazy. Hell, even just opening GarageBand on a 512MB MacBook results in no free RAM.

Get that MacBook and upgrade RAM later. 1GB is minimum for comfortable work in light applications on Intel-Mac

10. Mernak macrumors 6502

If you are on a budget 512 should be sufficient. But once you get the money I would upgrade the ram. 512 isn't that bad but it does become quite limiting if you like to have a decent amount of programs open at any given time.

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I have 512MB of RAM on my iMac, it's not too bad, just Word running under Rosetta takes ages to start up and sometimes to respond.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

PowerPC (G4/G5) performance with 512 Mb RAM is not comparable in any meaningful way with the Intel Mac performance with 512. No Rosetta...

13. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I just bought a refurb 1.83 Core Duo MacBook for my mum. I had considered buying more memory but decided to see how it runs with 512MB. Turns out to be perfectly acceptable. At first it was pretty horrid but this was while it was downloading updates and spotlight was indexing. Once that was done the performance was pretty good so I wouldn't worry too much. Seems pretty similar to the performance of my first gen MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM.

14. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

I agree that it really is not all that bad. I was able to use 512 RAM for quite a while without it feeling very slow. Even when I upgraded to the gig, it didn't feel much faster. It was hardly noticeable to me actually.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

512 Mb is OK for surfing internet, listen to music or IM, but if u run any office, adobe stuff, 1G is necessary, otherwise would be painfully slow