Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
I've decided on the iMac to get for college. I will be ordering it in a few weeks, but I did have a concern. Right now, I don't want to spend the extra money to upgrade the iMac's ram. Right now, I'm using a 1.25ghz G4 with 1GB ram...would a 2ghz G5 with only 512mb ram seem just as fast? I will be upgrading the iMac's ram at x-mas, but should 512 be fine until then? I'm hoping that the faster processor with a WAY better video card should supplement the difference nicely. Anyone know for sure though?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Should be fine. For most things, you'll notice a massive speed up as is but that extra RAM you get later down the track will probably be worthwhile still. :)

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
IMO, 512MB is marginal. It's enough to get you by, but 1GB would probably be best. With 512, I think you have to be a little careful not to open up too much crap.

So as long as you don't open too much crap or try to edit 5GB files, you will probably notice a nice speed bump.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Make sure you get the education discount for your new iMac and upgrade the RAM later when you can third party. It's easy to upgrade. 512 will be fine for now, but you will definetly want to upgrade later. As soon as you can get it, get it. In the mean time, don't forget you qualify for a free mini or $179 off an iPod if you are buying edu.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
solvs said:
Make sure you get the education discount for your new iMac and upgrade the RAM later when you can third party. It's easy to upgrade. 512 will be fine for now, but you will definetly want to upgrade later. As soon as you can get it, get it. In the mean time, don't forget you qualify for a free mini or $179 off an iPod if you are buying edu.

O yes, of course...the iPod deal is what sealed my decision if I should switch to a G5. Thanks everyone!

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Speed wise, it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't open too many things at once. I bought my G5 iMac with the stock setup and gave it a try. Things ran fine, but with things like Safari being king of bloatness, you'll find that you might start paging after a few days uptime.

I lasted 3 days before I ordered a 1Gb stick. Mind you, I had budgeted for it, so I wasn't too fussed about resisting.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
tsk said:
IMO, 512MB is marginal. It's enough to get you by, but 1GB would probably be best. With 512, I think you have to be a little careful not to open up too much crap.

So as long as you don't open too much crap or try to edit 5GB files, you will probably notice a nice speed bump.

Agreed.

Try to go w/ 1GB (one dimm) so that when you decide to max out the iMac's RAM you won't have to throw out any RAM (ie- the 512MB chip)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.