512meg Sony Memory Stick Duo wiggin' out.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gammamonk, Jun 24, 2006.

1. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

1/3 of my Hawaii pictures were on a 512meg Memory Stick, and when I got home I couldn't load them! I was pretty freaked out, but in the end I was able to read them no problem off an XP machine at work. Not sure why that made a difference, but it did. I formatted it in Mac OS with zeroing enabled, and decided only to keep it around for emergencies. Well, I ran out of space today shooting, and I used it for around 30 pics. When I got home, it had 143 pictures on it. Mostly from Hawaii. Hummmm.

Should I throw it away?

2. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

typical sony...i hate them.

anyways...

do what you want. I say shoot and fill up the card with random pics and see if you can recreate the problem after reformatting it...

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You might try a local specialty photo shop. I've come across a few that have special software to detect problems with cards. They might be able to identify what the problem is.

...just a thought.

I myself would throw it away. You don't want to take the chance on having it die on you midway through a vacation with valuable pictures still on it. (Which happened to me BTW :( )

4. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I just checked online, looks like it's under warranty still. If I can find the recepit, I'll RMA it.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So was it only acting up while in the camera trying to read it on OSX machine? Give us more info. I read somepalce that some cards had issues in certain cameras but the card was a duo PRO card...is yours a pro card.

I am very interested in this- I have had regular memory sticks for years and not a single issue- I just ordered a 2GB stick for use in my new sony camera (arriving any day now!)