512s or 1Gs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MegaSignal, Oct 10, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    As I begin to equip a Dual 2.0 G5 Power Mac with memory, which of the following configurations will give me the best edge in performance, if any?

8 - 512s for a total of 4G

4 - 1Gs for a total of 4G

All else aside, the only advantage of the 1G sticks would be for future expansion; the only advantage of the 512 sticks would be co$t. I just heard rumblings that the G5 would be better able to "access" its memory more efficiently with all memory slots full...

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    As long as my knowledge goes, they would be even.
    (i could be wrong..) Anyway IF there was a performance difference on any of them, it would be tiny...

I would go for a mix og 1Gs and 512s, 2x1024 + 4x512 = 4096 GB, plus you still have two slots open if you need to add more memory..
  3. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    If I remember correctly

I remember reading in here somewhere that someone said the computer can access the ram faster when the units are bigger (i.e., 1GB vs. 512 mb). If this is true, a computer with 4 1 gb sticks would run (slightly) faster then one with 8 512mb sticks. I'm not sure how this works, maybe it's easier for the computer to just look in one place, instead of sending and recieving from several different ones.