Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I sent this to the Apple Service Discussions but I know I get FAR quicker responces here which could give me an idea before definate professionals make a comfirmation....

"Hey, I have posted to another section of the discussion board about a move from a 533 to a DP500. After having I confirmed that such a move would do me no good, I was wondering about the option of taking the DP500 processor and adding it to the 533 board. Would this be safe and do nothing more than overclock the 500s to 533s or am I crusin for a brusin? "

stoid

macrumors 601
Overclock?!?!

The minute anyone at Apple hears the word "overclock" they have a nervous breakdown and have to go through months of emtional and physical therapy. I hope you don't get sued:p . But I digress, I seriously doubt Apple will help you overclock your G4, but someone out there probably will. Yeah, it's dangerous, to some extent, but I don't think 33Mhz is too bad. However, I'm no expert on overclocking, so my advice probably means nothing. Sorry.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
JESUS, if you got past the word "overclock" you would have understood the problem. The processors I am taking are 500MHz from a DP500 machine and I want to put them into a machine currently running a 533 chip. Since processor speed is set on the motherboard, if I put 1 500 chip on a 533 chipset it would run at 533. If I put 2 500s on a 533 chipset, given the specifics of the chips that ran on the DP 500 machines and the board I am adding them to, will the 500s fry, malfunction, play up or work beautifully but slightly overclocked?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
First off, you weren't clear in your first post.

Ok, I don't think that the speed of the chips are set on the motherboard, but actually on the daughterboard that the chips are soldered onto. Are you planning to try and take just the chips, or switch whole daugherboards? If so, it should still run at 500mhz without any overclocking.

Also, this may not work at all because of the different bus speeds. The 533 is at 133mhz, and the DP 500 is at 100. Check xlr8yourmac.com for more info, but I have a feeling it's do-able with some clever soldering.

-Pete

Good luck

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I just want to remove what Apple's service source refers to as the processor (board with, usually, black connector to motherboard) and put it on the 533 motherboard

Why solder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.