5400 rpm? portable hard drives?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by virus1, Jun 3, 2006.

1. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

i posted before about getting a macbook with a 5400 rpm drive for video. (IT ROCKS!) the general concesus was that i would need an external drive anyway, so speed on the macbook doesn't really matter. so now i want to get an exteral drive, but i want a mobile one that is powered off of the firewire. now the only ones i can find are only 5400 rpm, which may not be fast enough for video.

is it definately fast enough for video? (i may be working with hd in a few months as well)

or are there any reccomended drives that are 7200 rpm with some decent gigabitage?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know why a 5400 RPM drive wouldn't be fast enough ...

Look at the specs, some drives that spin faster will transfer data slower than another manufacturers "slower spinning" drives.

All depends on the sustained transfer speed you are looking 45-50MB/sec.

They are all close in specs, the cache and the GB range will probably affect you more than mr. spinny.

3. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

good point. lacie's hi end mobile hd vs. its hi end desktop hd only varies by 1 mb/s

4. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I really want a Firelight drive. They have them at the Apple Store and are very small Firewire powered drives.