Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Is it just me or has MacRumors forums just hit the 6 million post mark?

I think it has in the "unofficial" sense because there have been more than 6 million posts generated, but some were deleted due to forum rules' violations, wastlanding, etc.

I'd say the official count is still around 5.8 million (or whatever it is near the bottom of the forum).

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I think it has in the "unofficial" sense because there have been more than 6 million posts generated, but some were deleted due to forum rules' violations, wastlanding, etc.

I'd say the official count is still around 5.8 million (or whatever it is near the bottom of the forum).

Good call. Was just noticing the quote post number just edge past the 6 million mark there. So unofficially the forum has just past that milestone. Congrats!! Unofficial birthday party celebrations :)

Wont be long now then until it is officially 6 millions posts!!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Wont be long now then until it is officially 6 millions posts!!

Indeed. Such a scary thought. When I first started to come to MR to read stories and the like (2005), I would never have imagined such an explosion. Even when I signed up we were still just at 4 million! :eek:

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Might try a posting frenzy when its getting really close lol. See if I can grab the elusive 6 millionth post as my own :)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I was just going to ask the same thing, because according to forum spy we are over.

Someone over in those 'private' areas of MR looks like they got post 6,000,000.

There's only one problem. Forum Spy counts every post ever made, so although it says we're at 6,000,000 it doesn't take into count the numerous posts that have been deleted. At the bottom of the Forums page you can find the actual post count, not including deleted posts. Currently we are at 5,891,006.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
FYI, it took MacRumors 3.3 years to reach one million posts, 1.3 years to reach two million posts, 10 months to reach three million posts, 9 months to reach four million posts, 6 months and 15 days to reach five million posts, and now 5 months and 21 days to reach six million posts.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When we hit a rate of one million posts per day, we'll have one of these threads every day!

Given the frequency, we no longer have a contest to celebrate each million-post milestone.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Given the frequency, we no longer have a contest to celebrate each million-post milestone.

I was going to ask about that and thought that would be the case. Seems reasonable, at the rate the forum is going there would be a competition every five minutes!!

I think you should keep the forum competitions though, with the next one at 10 million posts, then 20 million? What you think?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think you should keep the forum competitions though, with the next one at 10 million posts, then 20 million? What you think?
That might work. We could also have one the same month every year, or have them whenever a good contest idea comes along.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
10 million post contest? :rolleyes:

I don't see any absurdity in that statement.

The contests should happen at progressively larger intervals. Perhaps every 5 million posts for now, and in the future, perhaps even only every 10 million (depending on when the post rate goes high enough to warrant that).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah i must say that the post rate has certainly gone up, but the growth of the site is good. lets just hope it never becomes too overwhelming.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
10 million post contest? :rolleyes:

I don't see any absurdity in that statement.

The contests should happen at progressively larger intervals. Perhaps every 5 million posts for now, and in the future, perhaps even only every 10 million (depending on when the post rate goes high enough to warrant that).

I believe what alphaod was referring to was the ideas for contests however what Dr. Q was meaning was for example the avatar contest or the Apple Fan(atic) contest or "Apple Advertisement"

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I believe what alphaod was referring to was the ideas for contests however what Dr. Q was meaning was for example the avatar contest or the Apple Fan(atic) contest or "Apple Advertisement"

Ahh, I see what you mean. :eek:

This is why I object to the liberal use of emoticons! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.