Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsaget611

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Its finally here ran software update and this is now available and says:

This update is recommended for all MacBook Air computers, and addresses issues with video playback and processor core idling. Third-party software that modifies processor operating characteristics such as frequency and voltage is not supported and should be removed before installing this update.

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
OMG, is this real :) I will report right back as soon as I install the update.

I AM HAVING A CORE SHUTDOWN AS I TYPE RIGHT NOW!

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
honestly, regardless of if it works or not i am still going to CL my 1st gen mba in a few weeks for these new penryns due out any day... am REALLY hoping that apple has put these past 200+ days to good use in their engineering dept and worked out all of the kinks.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Ooh, must call father to tell him to update… he only updates when I tell him :rolleyes: He's not exactly a computer wiz.

EDIT:

Only 83KB?! I didn't know that was still possible!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases MacBook Air Software Update

Apple today released MacBook Air Update, addressing issues with video playback and processor core idling.

What’s New in this Version
This update is recommended for all MacBook Air computers, and addresses issues with video playback and processor core idling.
Third-party software that modifies processor operating characteristics such as frequency and voltage is not supported and should be removed before installing this update.
The update weighs in at 368 KB and requires OS X 10.5.4.

Article Link

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Will this stop the BS one core at 100%, the other core at zero, and the computer turning into a useless $3000 doorstop until you shut it down, take a walk around the block and boot back up? :-/

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Will this stop the BS one core at 100%, the other core at zero, and the computer turning into a useless $3000 doorstop until you shut it down, take a walk around the block and boot back up? :-/

No. It'll fix the whiny users that are about as intelligent as a door stop. Happy?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Its coolbook. Furthermore, it seems to be on the OS level and not the firmware level because installing 10.6 doesn't give core shutdowns even passing over 100 deg C.

Edit, I installed this patch and it seems to be keeping my CPU pretty cool even with youtube running.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I do not know if this was fixed as part of my repair by apple or if it was the download, but I just watched an entire movie in iTunes without any problems, temps hovered at 58* without any stutter or core shutdown.

I was not able to do that before and this is the first movie I watched that was over 2 hours since the repair and just installed the update tonight.

Thought I would share.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
This update just changes 2 files.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I deactivated coolbook to install this...my temps immediately shut up 10 degrees after reboot!

this happen to anyone else?

Im at 71 deg C right now with 6200rpm fan. Im connected to a external monitor while running internal and booting up vista in vmware fusion. So far, the temps aren't going any more higher then with coolbook enabled for me.

Edit: oh, and im on youtube on the external screen. my cpu is at 100% both cores but no shut downs and my temps aren't going above 75 deg C. Its actually down to 69 now.

Edit 2: I believe this patch has fixed the core shutdowns. I cannot get the core to shutdown no matter what I do and I've pegged the CPU to 100% for nearly 5 minutes now.

Edit 3: Okay, apparently, the fix is just to fix the core shutdown, however, you basically run at a 0.8GHz CPU to prevent overheating. Using the MSR Tools from this link:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/459306/

You can test it out yourself. I'm running at 50% (0.80GHz) instead of 1.60GHz but my cores don't shutdown.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Wow.. seems sort of specific.

They even mention Coolbook. (indirectly)

perhaps I won't need that any longer :D

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
so basically we now have 800MHz core duo's? no performance beyond 800 MHz at all?

It drops to 800MHz when you're maxing the system out and pushing it onto the brink of overheating. After I closed off youtube I was able to get 75% speed back until my temps reached low enough until i got 100% throttle back

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Im at 71 deg C right now with 6200rpm fan. Im connected to a external monitor while running internal and booting up vista in vmware fusion. So far, the temps aren't going any more higher then with coolbook enabled for me.

Edit: oh, and im on youtube on the external screen. my cpu is at 100% both cores but no shut downs and my temps aren't going above 75 deg C. Its actually down to 69 now.

Edit 2: I believe this patch has fixed the core shutdowns. I cannot get the core to shutdown no matter what I do and I've pegged the CPU to 100% for nearly 5 minutes now.

Edit 3: Okay, apparently, the fix is just to fix the core shutdown, however, you basically run at a 0.8GHz CPU to prevent overheating. Using the MSR Tools from this link:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/459306/

You can test it out yourself. I'm running at 50% (0.80GHz) instead of 1.60GHz but my cores don't shutdown.
my temps are high but no shutdowns...this update definitely addresses the core shutdown issue...job well done Apple?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
The only way to test this is Logic Studio and play the tutorial file, Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko (the 5.1 version to a sound card)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.