55% americans don't believe evolution theory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Aug 31, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

This is interesting. European countries and Japan all has an acceptance of evolution theory of >70%.
    Is this totally religion driven denial or what?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lol, I heard it days ago on NPR, which I think is most reliable source in US now.
    I will check their website later to find a link for you.
    Update: I couldnt find the link, u can just check plinden's link....

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds about the same percentage who voted for George, evolution is fact.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, no it isn't but nothing else makes as much sense nor carries as much evidence.

I'll take rationality and evidence over hocus pocus and voodoo-magic any day of the week.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Occam's Razor is a wonderful tool, though it seems like I need to hone it more often these days after using defending myself with it from people who like the "man bhind the curtains" explanations of every little thing.

I would argue that little-e evolution is a fact, it can be studied in the lab in fruit flies and other simple organisms with short life cycles and the basis for the changes in a population can be measured in their DNA. Even, big-E Evolution is far more than an hypothesis, as suggested by the Roman Catholic church.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...th_doc_20040723_communion-stewardship_en.html I wish all those who question evolution would use such rational arguments.

EDIT: reading plinden's second link about the Science article:

I'm heartened to see that there are still more people who accept evolution outright than those who reject it. I think one of the grey areas that might create the 20% unsure is those who accept evolution for animals, but not for humans. I wonder what the answers would be if they asked if "rats, as we know them, developed from earlier species of animals".

B

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist and am right behind evolution. It's just technically incorrect to call it a fact. It's the most thoroughly tested, logical and visible method of explaining how we got from one thing to another. It's not yet Law but it's pretty damned close.

Mind you, not as close as relativity, that's been proven to within 99.99999etc.% accuracy now, all we need is to observe some gravity waves and that's all she wrote - Law of Relativity.

Geeze it's late, nearly 3am - time for bed.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering how often people are bombarded with senseless, unwanted phone calls, I wouldn't be surprised if the 55 % were a combination of fundamentalists and jokesters. I certainly don't want to participate in surveys for the most part. Many times, they're just sales gimmicks.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Depending on who is funding and asking the questions, answers will always be skewed in favor of who's pushing $'s. Questions will be phrased intentionally to give a "friendly" answer.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you don't believe polls ever?

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Depends really. If someone is doing a generic poll, asking people around his/her school what icecream they like... That's different compared to all these political polls.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Exactly. Statistics like this are hard to take without a grain of salt, without knowing who's doing the polling (and why) and how the questions were phrased.

Example:
    Question: Do you support increasing taxes by 50%, with the proceeds going towards bettering our elementary schools?

Tomorrow's headline: Vast majority of Americans hate children.

You can make created statistics say whatever you want them to say.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, so you don't believe any of "all these political polls" then?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's not an example of "push polling" so much as it's an example of poor journalism.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ahh, but poll upon poll seems to indicate that roughly half of all Americans believe in god as creator, not evolution. Are you saying that all of them are wrong?

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Couldn't god use evolution as the tool to create?

18. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

possible, ask if those 55% think so

and. thats a hypothesis, and need to be tested before it can be taught in classroom.

19. calculus Guest

calculus

How ironic that monkey boy doesn't believe in evolution.

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It depends on which god you mean. There are so many from which to choose.

I'll do you one better: let's call random people and ask them if the sky is blue, but what we won't report is that some of them will be phoned at night, and we'll be sure to include a fair number of Alaskans who live north of the Arctic Circle and call them when winter sets in. Then later we can report that X% of Americans say the sky is not blue.

Without knowing the questions, the format, or the context in which they were asked, the end results are meaningless.

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If science can not explain anything BEFORE the big bang, then perhaps God created the big bang.

thats not theology, its logic. well, sorta.

if you cant explain something in the physical universe, ever, then it must be God, right?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

True, but that does not invalidate all polling.

23. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Hmm, I thought it would be higher than 55. Nice to think roughly 45% of the world's most powerful nation have some sense of comprehension.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, that simple means we don't know what was going to before it

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I didn't specify which god on purpose.

The demographics of most reputable polls are watched quite closely as well as where they're from, etc. It doesn't take much to find out what information the pollsters have included, but since you don't believe in polls at all, i guess it's sort of pointless to continue on.