55 dollar Quicksilver

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mistermr, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mistermr macrumors newbie

Some of you may remember my earlier thread, "5 dollar Quicksilver", well that's no longer accurate. You can see by the name of this update thread that the 867 MHz Quicksilver I bought sans hard drive for 5 dollars at a local university surplus property sale has now cost me 55 dollars. Still not a bad price.

To recap, I had put a hard drive in the machine once I got it home and it spun right up. But the next day and the entire week following it wouldn't power up at all even after trying all the reasonable suggestions posted by the fine group of readers from this forum.

So I took it into the local Apple Authorized Service Center and left it with them for a few days. It powered right up for them as soon as they plugged it in. They did nothing except let it sit for a few days until they had time to look at it.

It's still working, even after I installed a larger hard drive in it and have done quite a few application installations and reboots. I'm a little afraid to shut it down but I think it's going to be just fine.

I did get something for my 50 dollar diagnostic fee. I learned a couple of things about this Mac. One, the mother board is not the original. Two, the mother board is for a dual processor model but currently has only one processor. I'm wondering if I'd be able to install a second processor. Anyone know?

Thanks again to all those who replied.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, from what I remember, dual-processors come on the same chip, so you'd have to buy a dual-processor card for your Mac, and I guess you could eBay the single to make up some of the cost.

3. mistermr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks livingfortoday. I stopped by and spoke again with the Apple Tech today and he concurred, telling me that the dual processors are a molded unit. I'll leave well enough alone. 55 dollars for an 867 MHz G4 Mac is quite the deal. I'm happy enough with that. I did buy a new Apple keyboard to use with it since I was using an old iMac keyboard without an eject button. That's an item whose price has come down to reasonable compared to what it had been.

4. mistermr thread starter macrumors newbie

Dead again

I guess I'm going to have to start calling this machine the QUITsilver.

Other than rebooting for installations this Mac has been running since I got it back 2 days ago. I went to a barbecue at a friend's home for a few hours today and left it running. I returned to a dark screen and a Quicksilver that won't boot up again.

I'll make a call to the Apple Store in Milwaukee to see if anyone there has any suggestions. If not, it goes off to market in pieces on eBay.