57000 songs on an iPod...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by chibianh, Jun 26, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

2. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

ok, thats a few years away. In that time, the world might get blown up. Ya, its cool, but it would probably not be affordable until like 2007.

3. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

man, that is a lot of space. Way to much for an iPod, of course since it is a portable HD, and the potential for cheap LCDs is growing, maybe the iPod will become a media machine!! Make it wireless and give me ESPN, then I'll buy one.:D

4. spuncan macrumors 6502

actually it could be done right now probably but the mp3's would all be 5 sec. blips
    Cool that it's in dev. but Im waiting for holographic drives

5. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

i'm waiting for the day when we don't need computer and everything is like it in star wars...or at least SeaQuest...one of the two and i'd be happy...
    the day when a single file is a terrabyte is gonna be funny to us old timmers...oh well...i just want more than 10GB in my laptop now, but, that's what my external is for i guess, oh and burned DVD's and CD's....
    holographic HD's are gonna be cool cause of how much can be in so little. The only question i really have is what is going to happen to monitors, on one end, we have super high quality small ones (portable DVD) and on the other is the Studio Display...PDA, PowerBook, or Tower...they'll come together in the end but who knows what ti's gonna look like or how much it's going to hold....

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Slight flaw there Bubba... the iPod uses a 1.8" hard drive, NOT a 2.5" drive (as found in laptops).

Currently Toshiba is the only company making the 1.8" drives, so until they increase the size of the drive (storage amount) we won't see them anywhere. I seriously doubt that Apple would switch to a 2.5" drive, since that would whack out the form factor. It would also make the iPod louder, heavier and all around too peecee like. :p

7. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

You are correct, AlphaTech. I agree with you that Apple would not likely switch to 2.5". However, if they implemented the technology, the iPod could become much more than what it is now. Or, with that same technology, maybe someone could come up with even smaller drives reducing the size of the ipod even more? Hey, it could happen...

Anh

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just about anything is possible if enough people work on it.

If Toshiba decides to, or another drive maker for that matter, make a 1.8" drive with a few hundred GB, eventually it will happen. Problem is, will we ever see it in our lifetime??? Time is the killer here.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Expensive...

Definitely not anytime soon... A 60GB 2.5" drive is still over $300. Put that into a 1.8" form factor and the price jumps. Make it a 1TB drive and you could buy a cheap car cheaper than an iPod... Maybe something like the VW deal where you buy the Beetle and get an iPod, instead you'd be buying the iPod and getting a free car if you bought an iPod at that price.

Do you actually have 57,000 MP3's? Hopefully not. ;)

Although bigger and faster drive are definitely something we'd all like to see, maybe more focus should be put on using the available space more efficiently. :rolleyes:

10. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

When (If) apple support AAC in their iPods the 10 gig with be able to hold 5882 high quality songs at 64bit. That taking in account that the average song is 5mb in mp3 so you wont need that much of an increase of hard drive size, so maybe we’re not that far away from 57000.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, I have one of those...I'm gonna go out and get a ferrari and sell this iPod! :D

Man, that is nuts. I wonder who is going to find that many songs.

Man, it's amazing to see how technology has advanced. In 1984 we were all talking on how spectacular the 400KB floppy is, and now we are talking about how spectacular the 10GB portable is than can also do mp3s.

I think that in another 15 or 20 years we will have some sort of terabit storage Hard Drive (super small) with absolutely unimaginable options, such as going from a portable drive, to a portable computer, to a desktop computer. And no FRIGGIN WAY will it be a PDA! :cool:

12. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

When (If) apple support AAC in their iPods the 10 gig with be able to hold 5882 high quality songs at 64bit. That taking in account that the average song is 5mb in mp3 so you wont need that much of an increase of hard drive size, so maybe we’re not that far away from 57000.

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, Jobs. I had no idea the owner of Apple could get away with a double post. Congratulations! :D

And don't tell me that you can get high quality songs at 64 bit (You meant kilobit, right?). I can easily tell the difference between 128kbit songs and 192kb songs and for me 128kb is crappy as h!!!. I try to keep ONLY 192kb songs on my iPod, since I can't stand low quality songs, especially when listening to Linkin Park.

At 64bit you could probably have In A Gada Da Vida compressed to 8MB! :cool:

14. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Terrabyte laptop hDD

There not going to be that far away....

Think about it.... look how fast technology is advancing...

We went from 2GB Laptop hard drives to 60gb Laptop hard drives in 3-4 years...

That means a 1800GB or 1.8Terrabyte Laptop Hard Disk could be available in the next 3-4 years at that same rate of advance. And will probably be affordable really quickly

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

digitalrampage, a LOT is going to need to happen with drive technology to get a laptop drive over 60GB AND maintain the current thickness of them. While it will [eventually] happen, I wouldn't dream of assuming it will be done in the next 3-4 years. Look at it this way, IBM had to advance the platter design, and process, to get the 60GB drive (12.5mm thick). That does fit inside the TiBook, but it doesn't leave all that much room to spare. To maintain that as a maximum thickness, they are going to have to increase the platter density, since they will not be able to increase the number of platters much (if at all).

Look at how long 120GB and 160GB 3.5" drives have been out. There has yet to be an increase in those beyond the 160GB mark (yet at least). I am sure the drives are being developed, but who knows what kind of hurdles they have to get over before actually starting to produce them. That is, except for the people actually on the design teams.

Over the next few years, I can see drives (3.5") getting up into the hundreds of GB in size. They very well could grow in height to get there though. That is not an acceptable sacrifice for laptops, since drive thickness is a critical issue.

16. joed macrumors regular

I also read an article on EETimes regarding a new Flash Memory technology that could hold about 5 terabytes in a 3.5" hard drive or about 64gb on a PC Card.

Go to: http://www.eetimes.com/at/news/OEG20020625S0028

So maybe we'll get video cameras etc that only use Flash Cards to store movies?

The article also states that products using this new technology could become available by 2004 and 'can be produce at a much lower cost'.

The magnetic technology describes in the original post, says that it could be available by 2008 (with prototypes and testing by 2004).

James.

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I've got the Linkin Park album and they're not exactly high quality songs either;) .

If you want to listen to real electronic metal, may I recommend some Nine Inch Nails. The live DVD is outstanding, and all made on Macintosh

18. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I dont give a damn NIN made their DVD on mac,all i know is that Linkin Park is a great band,it helped me a lot through bad times,they do have many brilliant songs..they are real,not like the others

19. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

check this out
    holographic storage,i wish apple invests in them and bring first holographic drives into computers

20. fallt macrumors member

300,000 Songs in Your Pocket...

Dear All,

300,000 Songs in Your Pocket... We're currently working with a Japanese artist - Otaku Yakuza - who's working with one second audio files. If a standard iPod can handle 1,000 songs @ 5 mins. average (?) that's a tidy 300,000 songs in your pocket.

Further details here:

http://www.fallt.com/assembler/components.html

Take care,

Christopher

21. coolocity macrumors regular

Does anyone actually have that much music to begin with? I'd prolly only use a gig or so of music, and the rest for a HD :D

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

fallt, having 300,000 1 second songs is pretty much useless... Sort of along the same lines as a 2.4GHz pee4 chip... a lot of crap, is still crap.. :D

I would much rather have the 1000 5 minute songs on the iPod... sort of like the 1GHz G4 chip... it just works/functions very well. :D

23. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Well, since Trent Reznor and Charlie Clouser both appear on Apple's website, maybe you should give a damn. They're both professional, creative and able musicians who love the Mac and are willing to say so.

I'm glad Linkin Park helped you through bad times, but I hope you realise that Hybrid Theory bares more than a passing resemblance to a lot of Backstreet Boys songs. :rolleyes:

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

quad, pilot, cool it. I like both bands. I have Closer by NIN, but when I don't want something profane or sexually graphic I turn to Linkin Park and a few others.

I find it so stupid that you guys are arguing about which bands are better, just because a few of the members of one band has helped Apple or not. In fact, I could give a squirrel's rectum about who sponsers who, regardless of Apple or the peecee world. It's the music that matters, not who supports Apple.

As for Linkin Park being a resemblance of the Backstreet Boys, I haven't purposely tried to listen to that band in over a year. And I don't plan to listen to them. I don't see how you can compare Linkin Park to the Backstreet Boys.

So would you guys just chill out already? Let's keep it quiet. :cool:

25. xelterran macrumors 6502

Cool technology and stuff but who is realistically gunna listen to all 57000 tunes :confused: :eek:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: lol