5G 60Gb battery loses life real fast!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Obsidian6, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

So i was under the impression that these 5th gen were supposed to have a 20hr battery?

im just curious, because even after a full charge, the bar still isnt full. and after less than 5 minutes it is down 1/4 of the battery.

maybe it just needs a couple cycles? i dont know, but that sure is bothersome.
    its just annoying really, i havent really had it die on me in an inconvenient time yet.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you charge it from a computer whilst transferring songs, it will take a lot longer to fully charge. Sometimes I'll leave my iPod in its dock for a day, come back to it, put more music on it, take it out and only have a little amount of battery time left simply because the transfer used up a bit of the battery power.

If this isn't the problem, then maybe try calibrating the battery to ensure it charges to its full capacity. Do this by completely charging it up, completely discharging it, and then completely charging it up again. :)

3. pmackin macrumors member

pmackin

4. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

thank you for the procedure -

i started a test last night to see how long it would last. it is in the red "almost dead zone" now and its only been 9 hours and 20 mins.

when i am not importing songs ( which doesnt happen often since my entire library is on it )

i have it docked to a AC adapter with my headphones plugged into the dock.

5. pmackin macrumors member

pmackin

If it stop's before 10 hours , which is less then 50% .. call applecare an tell them you need a replacement if they asked you what you did just read out the procedure and yes tell them you did a iPod restore before going ahead with the
    procedure. and ask for a 'case id' . you will get a replacement at once when the 'case id' is quoted at any Apple store/ASP.

6. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Is it all the time or just while watching videos?

7. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

that is WITHOUT watching videos. even after a "full charge" if i tried to play a video it will drain the battery down to 50% within a couple minutes

i am going to do the battery test today, if it doesnt pass i will take it in and explain it all to them, and save them the trouble of doing the test because i already did it :)

8. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

iPod test started at 2PM
    update log:

6:13pm - approx 1/4 life drained (3/4)
    7:15pm - still at 3/4 life
    9:30pm - now at 1/2 life
    12:00am - now at a little over 1/4 life
    8:00am - almost completely drained
    8:56am - dead. (19hrs total )

well that seemed to do the trick :) thanks guys!

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the battery meter on all ipods is very inaccurate, straight after a charge my 3rd gen shows it has a tiny charge but then after 20 mins of use it's up full, it stays that way for 7 hours or so then goes to 25% then two hours latter dies.

10. Timepass macrumors 65816

yeah I think apple bat metter is very poor. On my G4 did the hack to have it deplay the chare in mV. that work great until an iPod udate about 3 months ago that disable it and now I can not get it back that way. I found that number display a lot more helpful in telling what the charge was.

11. luckylisp macrumors 6502

You did this second test after you calibrated the battery, is that correct?

12. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

no that was during the calibration, i was running down the battery to test it. it is in the middle of charging now.

13. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Ah, I see, thanks. I'm doing the same test on mine now.

14. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

update:

ok so after the testing, i have discovered that it will last nearly 20 hours playing music straight through.

however even after a full and complete charge ( 4+ hours ) it will STILL drain the battery down to 3/4 full in a matter of seconds when in watch a video. i dont get that. but i dont watch enough videos on the ipod to even care lol. 20 hours of music is a-ok with me

15. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah, I've noticed this too. But if you just flip back to music and let it play a while. The meter will fill back up slowly. I guess it's just one of those "things" that is kinda weird about it. It hasn't bothered me. I can def get close to the 20+ hours just listening to music. I listen about 5 hours a day during work, and only have to charge once during that time.

16. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

alright well thats cool then. i wont worry about it.

man. i must have some enormous file sizes on my music. look at the difference between our libraries lol.

yours -
    iTunes - 5812 Items, Total Time of 16.9 Days, 28.09 GB

mine-
    5605 items, 17.1 days, 40.95GB

17. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

I've got everything encoded at 160 AAC. That might be why.

18. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

*slaps forehead* HOW COULD I FORGET THAT??? ever since i had to start over with my music collection, i forgot to keep them all encoded in AAC. gah! how could i be so foolish. i am in the long long long process of converting it all to 160AAC right now. im only on the "Ns" .. this could take a while. but it sure will free up space on my ipod! (ponders as to why i had to get the 60GB now... )

19. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

That'll do it. I have a hard time telling the difference between bitrates anyway. I guess it just doesn't bother me much...but 160, isn't much bigger than 128, so I figured what the heck...

I guess you have quite a bit of stuff in MP3 or some other?