5g Battery- Bought online can i take it to a apple store?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Konradx, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

Ok so i charge my ipod fully on sunday. Within three days ive listend to my ipod about 2 hours a day for a total of 6 hours. I watched literally 3 seconds of video and battery cuts in half. Today the battery is at its thinnest red line. Now i know the battery doesnt show how much battery their is 100%..but i gotta feeling my battery is not pushing 20 hours. Ive fully charged and drained it before 3-4 times.

Now i bought it online from the apple store. Can i take it to my local Apply Retail store (york dale mall) and have them check it out or would i have to pay? Also its engraved and i have the invisible shield on it. Help!

2. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

The highest battery rating is 18 hours and that's a test where they load up one playlist without the backlight on and let it play until it dies completely.

Here's what's happening:

1. Everytime you use your iPod you're triggering the backlight which sucks up juice and the hard drive spins up...both of which take up a staggering amount of battery power. Add in about 6 hours and you've cut through 10-12 actual hours of battery in accordance with battery testing.

2. Watching video (even for 3 seconds) requires the iPod HD to spin up once more, cache the video and use the backlight. Again sucking a bit more juice.

3. When your iPod if "off" its actually in sleep mode using a slight bit of juice to be able to come on "instantly." After about three days it goes into "deep sleep" and basically shuts itself down completely. This lighter sleep mode still uses battery life, to see what I mean, listen to a song or two and then put your iPod to light sleep. Then come back about two days later and you'll notice your battery has lost a chunk of its charge. This is due to the sleep cycle.

If you want to really test your battery (like Apple will do (or make YOU do) if you bring it to them with this belief) is make a huge playlist of 19 hours. Check on it at the 8, 15 & 18 hour marks (set an alarm or 3). If it goes the whole playlist then your battery is fine. If it goes anything below 15 then yeah maybe you have an issue.

3. john159 macrumors regular

Also on the new ipods.. nano and 5g after 14 hours they also go into a heavier light sleep... on the new ipods there are 3 off power stages'

If you just hold the play button down it goes on a temp sleep
    After 14 hours, the battery goes into a sort of hibrnation
    After 24 or so hours it goes into some like deep hibrnation...

Look here on the apple site for more detail...

ok i cant find the site.. it was on apple somewhere but i have been looking for 15 and cant find it... sorry but it doesnt seem like you have a problem with the ipod... do the stuff the guy said before me just to verify that you do not have any of the probelms...

4. Konradx thread starter macrumors 6502

Konradx

i have EQ off, and i NEVER use my backlight. Ive used my ipod for about 6 hours over 3 days and the rest of the time its off. Its on a thinnest line of red. And on the website it says 20 hours for the 60gb. This weekend im going to make a 20 hour playlist and see how far it gets

But to answer my second part of the question..can i take a online purchased apple store product to a retail apple store? Or are they seperate and i have to mail it back?

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yes of course you can take it back to an apple store if you bought it online!