5G battery quality??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bcwilson, Nov 26, 2005.

1. bcwilson macrumors newbie

So my 3G iPod is coming up on the magic 18 month marker when the battery quits. I already got one battery replacement out of my AppleCare, but it has already expired, so the next one will cost me.

I'm facing the choice between getting a battery replacement, or getting a new iPod. Can someone tell me if the battery in the 5G is of better quality than that of the 3G? If its not any better, then I'm just going to go for the battery replacement. But if the 5G may have a better battery lifespan, I'm going to go for a new one.

I realize the battery has a longer play time, but what I'm asking about is the lifespan. As for the additional features, yeah, they're cool, but I can live with my 3G for another 18 months if the 5G is no better.

Somebody help me out here :confused:

2. playaproved macrumors regular

I think the main problem you are going to run into is that the 5g iPod hasn't been out long enough for anyone to get an accurate feel for the longevity of the battery. Just buy the 5g, you'll love it... I upgraded from my 3g, whose battery hasn't exactly quit, but the life is really short, like 3hrs maybe. I've had my 3g for about 20mos now I think. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the click wheel, because when the mini's and the 4g iPods came out I hated it... but then the 5g came out and I realized I was being stubborn and decided to give it a chance, and realized its not that bad at all.

3. john159 macrumors regular

quick thing wid the battery, i have a 30 gb ipod wid video, and i wanted to do a bat test, so i ran a video of movies playlists and the bat was supposed to last for 2 hours, it ended up lasting for 2 hours and 22 minutes, that is just playing wid backlight for that long.... so the batery playin music is ment to last 14 hours so it would actually mean it would last 16 hrs playing music... so apple under estimated its battery... just telling you yeh,, this is defiently better battery stats then my old 3G.. alright man there you have it