5G iPod Battery sudden death

Discussion in 'iPod' started by benh, Nov 11, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I've had a 5G 60GB iPod with Video since October of 2005 when they were released.

When I was using it a few days ago, it was working just fine, and battery life seemed pretty normal.

Last night, I was trying to use it, and no dice. It was as if it was trying to power up, the Apple logo would show, and then it'd go dark again. So I plugged it in to charge and left it overnight. It didn't take a charge at all.

If i plug it into my external battery pack, it works fine, so I'm pretty certain that it's the battery.

Naturally, I'm out of the 1 year warranty, so I expect I'll be getting a third party replacement battery at my expense.

Thing is that this seems like a nonstandard battery failure. I'm familiar with how lithium ion batteries degrade over time, and I'm used to a failure mode that approximates a gradual decline in life, not a sudden complete failure.

Anyone else seen a similar battery failure? Wondering if it might be worth my while to talk to Apple about this.

2. macrumors regular

Rantipole

I had the same thing happen to my mini. I did not test it with an external battery, so I can't say for sure we experienced the *exact* same problem.

Anyway, I did a full restore of the iPod to factory settings, and now it works fine. :)

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. My iPod is shutting down quickly again. :(

EDIT 2: WTF! I let my iPod sit for a couple days, and now it is working perfectly again.