5G iPod bug

Discussion in 'iPod' started by R.Youden, Dec 11, 2005.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Found this out yesterday. When I have my phone next to my iPod and are using WAP everytime I load a page the volume changes on the iPod dramatically. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone else replicate this?

2. retasi macrumors member

This was acknowledged by apple a couple of weeks ago its because of the GSM signal interfering with the click wheel.

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I see. Didnt know about that, are they planning on doing anything about it as it is dam annoying when I have my phone and iPod in the same pocket!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You must have very large pockets.

And yes, Apple might be doing something about it. There was a thread not to long ago about Apple going back to the former clickwheel made by synaptics, though the article was refering to the Nano, I believe it could effect both lines.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=165468
    (the issue you are refering to with interference w/ cell phones was brought up somewhere in the thread)

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

why not just use the hold button?

in my pocket at the moment i have a 3g ipod, headphones a usb key, a swiss army knife, a fold up pair of pliers travel pass, wallet and keys, all in the same pocket, and it's hardly that big....

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Good point, Richard Youden, the hold switch will stop the problem.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

8. retasi macrumors member

9. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

10. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I could keep the iPod on hold but... I paid over £250 for this thing and I shouldn't have to put it on hold to prevent a bug like this. Without the remote control that came with the previous iPods I dont like having the iPod on hold so I can easily change track / change volume! Also why should I have to put the iPod in a different pocket? This is an issue with the iPod, not how I carry my iPod. Where in the user manual does it say "dont use your iPod near a mobile phone"...

I hope no one takes my post the wrong way but I am very annoyed that this is an issue and I would like to see Apple solve this problem. I know they are doing something about the scratched iPod nano's but that does not affect the sound (at the end of the day the main aim of the iPod is to listen to music) where as this issue does affect sound so this is a far greater issue than the scratched surface.

That feels better....

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, if you want you could always put the phone in the other pocket. :p

12. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I know that an easy solution would be to keep the two items apart but I shouldn't have to. Sorry but this is a real annoyance, I hope Apple are prepared to solve this issue or at least offer some compensation.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have to ask: What form of compensation do you feel would be appropriate in this instance?

14. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Some kind of lead iPod case?

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Some foil case or something that will shield the GSM phone from interfering with his 5G iPod. ;) :D

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Nah, that would not work as he would complain about the weight issue. ;) :)

17. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

What I am saying is that I have paid over £250 for this iPod and I am not very happy that I cant use it properly and there is no warning issue in the user manual.

It annoys me that Apple are prepared to replaced a scratched iPod that has no effect on the operation whilst they fail to do anything about this issue which prevents the device from working properly. Smothing from tradding standards about a product being fit for its intended use springs to mind.

And for anyone elses information I dont have an issue with its weight or size, I think it is a fantastic piece of engineering. I just think Apple should acknowledge this problem. It is potential issue that has more of an annoying consequence that the battery issue.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If your getting this worked up about such a small problem, I'd to see you in a time of a real emergency.

19. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i know, geez what was apple thinking. my ipod interferes with my keys in my pocket all the time. it's hard to tell when it happens really, mostly you can tell by the big scratches in the ipods face. i think i'll sue apple, maybe get some compensation or something.

20. sockdoggy macrumors regular

I can see how the hold button could be an annoyance... I do hope you're joking.

21. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Funny, but the Nano class action suit may prove otherwise for Apple.

22. skamin macrumors newbie

I understand the complaint - I think the phone company could find some way to sheild the phones though, right? Maybe that would kill service, I don't really know. The problem goes WAY beyond just iPods though - GSM interferes with practically any speaker system. Just having my phone sitting near speakers creates this funny feedback, which varies in volume depending on the speakers. I've heard it in my car, from my TV, and my home stereo. Its not just my phone either - it happens to everyone i know with a GSM phone...

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It does seem to depend on the phone though. I was sitting in a teleconference with 4 other subscribers to the same GSM network, and only my crappy Nokia 3100 phone started "talking" through the Polycom box, the other phones all Nokia's as well were quiet even though we tried placing them at the same distance from the Polycom. They all looked at me funny, being that it was the first time they heard this.

My old Ericsson TDMA phones has the same behavior too, so I guess it's just me.

B

24. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I wonder if Apple will replace iPods with new ones with the Synaptecs clickwheels, when they come out due to this problem.

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Sometimes I am still really surprised by the fanboism of Mac owners... the reality distortion field really got some of you good.
    How can you possibly defend a screw-up like this? It is not like the package has a dent... it is a major problem for everyone that takes their iPod with them on-the-go, something that the iPod was designed for.
    Basically if it didn't do it in the last incarnation, it is a design flaw. Design flaws that interfere with the main usage can't be esxcused. Everyone saying anything different is not thinking straight.