5G iPod: Software Freezes, HDD Chatters

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ChrisBrightwell, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Hi Everyone,

I have a 5G iPod, purchased in late March or early April (I'll have to dig out the receipt). It's had a few obnoxious habits that I've not been able to diagnose -- Looking for anyone w/ similar problems and/or solutions.

1. iPod software "hangs" regularly. On a relatively regular basis (usually after selecting a song, but before playback begins), the internal software on the iPod will stall for several seconds (or minutes, periodically). When playback finally begins, the iPod will often skip to the next song and/or reboot. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this behavior. I can not reproduce it on-demand, but it happens enough to be a legitimate problem.

2. iPod hard drive "chatters" constantly. It feels/sounds like every read operation on this thing is accompanied by an audible chatter (which can also be felt if the iPod is in-hand), presumably from the hard drive. I initially disregarded this as a "by design" sort of thing, but it's gotten worse as time goes on.

I suspect that #2 is the primary problem and that #1 is a result of the hard drive failing. Any other insight? Anyone else with the same problem? Anyone with a solution?

I've tried reformatting the iPod (both in FAT32 and HFS+) and that doesn't seem to help anything. I defragged the disk (while FAT32) and had no luck there, either.

I suspect fully that this is a hardware failure and will be returning it to Apple soon (I just initiated a dialog w/ their support staff), but I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this problem.

2. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I have had the exact same problem for several months. I have four other iPods so I use them instead. I noticed I don't have the same issue with my
    5G iPod when I am watching videos I have purchased from the itms. I was planning on taking it to the Apple store and see if they can do anything for me. It should still be covered under warrenty. Not sure. I am going to call support. Thanks for reminding me about this. I would do the same If I was you.

3. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I just sent a service request to Apple. :)

I was at the Apple Store in Nashville over the weekend (which is two hours from here) and managed to leave my iPod on my desk at home. I walked in, saw the genius bar, and instantly remembered why I needed to visit the Apple Store while I was in Nashville (primary mission was to buy wedding bands). D'oh!

I'll update this thread when Apple gets back to me on their solution.

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Yeah let me know what happens. I just called my local Apple store and they told me to bring it in. It sounded like they knew exactly what I was talking about. I just hope they fix it. It was an expensive toy to have it sitting on a shelf without use. Like my PSP. :)

5. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I got a lightning-quick reply from AppleCare. They're sending me a box for the iPod and I'll return it to them for service/exchange/whatever.

Problem w/ the PSP is that it lacks the *games* I want to play. Lumines is fantastic, but nothing else has come close. Gradius Collection (or whatever it's called) is out this week. I'll probably get that, but I doubt it usurps my current infatuation w/ New Super Mario Bros.

6. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Yeah I know what you mean with the PSP games. Nothing good out. I pre-ordered a DS lite. I can't wait to get it. I am looking forward to playing the new Mario Bros and Metroid games.