5G iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by davefan6435, Sep 20, 2005.

1. davefan6435 macrumors regular

Now that the Paris Expo has begun and there has been no iPod update, when do you think it will occur. On sunday someone dropped my iPod and now the screen is broken :( . Im planning on holding out till a 5G iPod comes out because i can still see like 2 lines on the display and it still plays music. And in case your wondering I do realize there are already threads out there on this subject. Sorry if this is a redundant post.

2. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i doubt 5g ipods will be out for a while, the ipods were just updated in july so it seems like if the 5gs were coming soon they would've happened in july or they would have come out at the same time as the ipod nanos

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I wouldn't consider that an updating. It was more just a merging of two lines.

4. the_freddinator macrumors regular

If its new it's going to have to be:
    a) video
    and/or
    b) flash

I don't know the current high-end capacity of flash drives, so I'm not going to make crap up. all I know is that if you're going to update after putting out a flash-based iPod, you're going to have to be able to rival the estique of the nano.

5. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

either way i doubt they would do that if there is suppose to be major updates in the near future

6. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Your best bet will be to buy a Nano. Its a gig short of what you're looking for, but because they're new the resale value will remain storng for some time. In the event there's in update in the next few months, you can sell the Nano, and re-invest in a 5+ gb model.

7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i dont think he means 5gig ipod, he means 5th generation ipod

8. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I think we are due for a complete revamping of the regular iPod. The transition between the 3G and 4G was nothing compared to other transitions, and the biggest of all, the mini to nano transition.

When? Is another question...

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Good to hear my man! Apple releases a 60GB flash iPod. Price? $16,000.

10. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I heard a rumor floating around a month or so back that they were going to re-introduce the anodyzed aluminum from the iPod mini into the 5g along with removable batteries. Both of which I hope will be true.

Why this would work?

-Anodyzed aluminum kicks ass. My year+ old mini is completely unscathed and has seen some pretty rough pockets/keys/drops/scrapes in its lifetime.

-Apple is currently charging about $60-70 for battery replacement service. They can easily cut down this part of their service and having to deal with refurb units by selling user-replacable batteries at two-capacities priced at about ~$59 & $79 each. Users can then upgrade their batteries or just buy new ones when they feel the need (probably a whole heck of a lot more often than paying for them to be replaced when they die).

Just my $.02

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

hahhaha riiiiiight.

40gb of flash memory...

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I hope that they will keep the design or make it even better, introduce 80-gig model and of course give them an ability to play videos!

13. Meatwad macrumors newbie

I have the first 20GB unit that came out (2nd gen I suppose) and I just gotta replace it soon. I'd buy a 60GB unit, but I worry that the PP5022-powered 5th gen will come out with something like 30 hrs of battery life and I'll kick myself. OTOH, I'm sure it will be more than the $399 they're charging right now. So given that fairly cheap price I may have to get one while the getting is good.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The fourth generation has been around for what seems like forever be it with colour screens or no. I'd try to hold out until the 5th gen come out because they're gonna be better and chances are they'll be around for as long as the 4Gs have been. Even if a 5th gen comes out in six months you're still gonna feel a bit down because your relatively new ipod is now old hat.

15. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm still waiting to see if that by any chance that rumoured date about October the 7th for the video iPod is true. I won't be upgrading then, and all signs are pointing to it being false, but you never know.

16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm really sorry to tell you that NO, there won't be any video iPods this year whatsoever...

"but you never know" i know...

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

its a change in the line its not 5g its still 4g but it does put of the 5g for longer( im betting something to take the iPod Photo's higher price point)

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Surely a video iPod would warrant some sort of event from Apple..... :D :eek: ;) :D

Attached Files:

19. _Matt macrumors 6502

Thanksgiving '05...if not i shall throw my PowerBook out of my window and throw my iPod into the Hudson River...and then ill go buy a nice Dell :eek: