5G not compatible w/ FIREWIRE!!!!! (USB 2.0 HELP?)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by breathein, Nov 26, 2005.

1. breathein macrumors member

I love apple but why do they have to screw you over like this? the 2g ipod i had before my new 5g came w/ wall charger, belt carrying case, firewire, etc..

now you dont even get a dock.. or a wall charger!

but anyway - i had tried my friends firewire cord that fits in the 5g, the ipod says i must use USB2.0 to transfer songs, however the firewire cable still charged my ipod.

i have a powermac g4 2x1ghz and usb 2.0 didnt come w/ my computer. i have boughten this cheap usb two port card and when i plug my ipod in the computer doesnt recognize it. i restarted too. aside from that my usb card is giving me sleep issues, but any advice anyone?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

use USB 1?

or get a better USB 2.0 Card.

Is the iPod recognized in Disk Utility?

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

It might help if you say what kind of card you bought and the steps you went through by installing it. I've never attempted this so I can't tell you anything about it but good luck.

4. breathein thread starter macrumors member

use USB1?!!! are u kidding me? why would apple force me to reduce myself from their high speed standard (firewire) to usb 1 because of some crappy code they put on the iPod??! this predicament is absurd!

I dont know what brand my usb 2 card is. it was 15 bucks from tiger direct.. i figured there wouldnt be much of a difference..? the card had no drivers or anything so i plugged it into my pci slot and turned the computer on

i'm not at my computer but i'll check later if its seen in disk utility.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Get a card that's been tested on Macs. Don't get a cheapo one..

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

eh its not crappy code, they don't have a firewire chip on the motherboard of the iPod, that is one hell of code then :p

7. breathein thread starter macrumors member

where do I learn about cards that have been tested on macs??

and to the last post, thanks for the clarification. i have a good chargin' cable :eek:

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

When you get home check make/model of your card. Is there any firmware upgrade for your pci card. Otherwise get a new one here is another source for a Mac compatible pci card.

MacMall

Any reputable Mac Dealer should sell these things.

10. breathein thread starter macrumors member

i appreciate it y'all..

do you think this will also solve my sleep problem?

i learned that it was my usb card giving me sleep issues b/c if u see the belkin review on the apple store someone mentions my problem

11. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

It could be. Incompatible hardware can do some strange things to your machine!! First step would be 'like always undo all the changes you just made to your system' in your case to unplug the new hardware and see if your problem persists....if so you know it's not your pci-card.

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO, why have you not taken the trouble to read the iPod 5G and Nano tech specs. ;) :)

I will only buy another iPod once they re-implement FireWire into it. :D

13. breathein thread starter macrumors member

well i'll be enjoying my 5g until then, mate :eek:

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hear you, that is one reason that I haven't bought a new one. We may be in for a long wait. Of course, my first gen iPod mini is trucking along just fine:p

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

This folks is why you

1) Read about the product before you buy it:p

2) Keep Updating you Computer(if possible)

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

LOL, I have been enjoying my 3G for close to 2 years now. And its still going strong with fast FW syncing. ;) :D

I do not need pictures and video on-the-go, so it suits my requirements well enough, plus I have yet to fill the 20gigs it offers. :)

17. breathein thread starter macrumors member

no one needs video and pictures on the go, however my 2g's headphone jack was falling apart, it was only 10gb, the battery isnt as strong.. and the idea of a bigger screen in color was appealing.. black ipod too.. and the slim new design. this usb 2.0 issue is minor and understandable since firewire is less popluar than USB.

capitalism is a bitch

18. breathein thread starter macrumors member

Disk Utility doesnt list my ipod.

somethign of interest.. i plugged my ipod in right when OS opened up and it said do not disconnect but it was never mounted on my desktop.. now when i plug it back in w/o restarting it does nothing.

i successfully use this 2.0 card to download my RAW images from a 1gb CF card

19. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I recall when the 4g iPod came out I said to my friends that I was holding out until Apple made an iPod with video. At the time I wasn't terribly worried about displaying photos on an iPod and besides I didn't like the click wheel (I have a 3g 15GB iPod).

But yesterday my partner gave me an early Christmas present, he bought me a 30GB iPod Video :D I love this thing. I don't care about firewire vs USB 2.0, all that concerns me is that it plays my cd's. I'll probably store some of my digital artwork on it as well (you never know who you might bump into when all you have on you is your iPod) and the very occasional music video (like Kate Bush's new single).

Well back to transferring my cd collection to my new iPod....

20. Quark macrumors regular

Similar predicament

I purchased the 5G iPod and I do not have USB 2.0 on my computer.

I have an iMac 15" G4 Flat Panel 800Mhz.

Does anyone know of a USB 2.0 adapter that I might be able to use? Such as a device that converts Firewire from the iMac to USB 2.0.

Or perhaps a networked device that has USB 2.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quark