5G not gapless with new firmware (1.2)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lorkp, Sep 12, 2006.

1. lorkp macrumors member

I was very excited to hear that iTunes/iPod is gapless. iTunes is! however, my iPod is not. I still hear gaps on tracks that are gapless in iTunes. WTF? any ideas?

2. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

It only applies gapless to songs that go into eachother.

Ex. Live concert CD's are meant to flow

Other songs just play regular.

3. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

the songs that are supposed to run into each other are not. Actually, I'll admit that there isn't a "gap" any more, but there is an audible click that shouldn't be there. At least it isn't there when I listen to it through headphones on my computer. The strange thing is that some songs play seemlessly without the click while others do. I'm not sure why though.

4. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I had an album that had the click you describe. I reripped it, telling iTunes that it was gapless BEFORE the rip, and the click went away. It sounds flawless on my iPod and in iTunes. Reripping is a pain, but it works.

6. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

how do you tell itunes that it's gapless before you rip it?

7. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Well my gapless is working, just listened to Linkin Park's Meteora album which is continuous, and it sounds awesome!

Anybody worked out how to ge the iPod search menu?

Cheers

8. Carlson-online macrumors member

if you look at the info of a song, ull see a lil box called gapless album.
    Set to yes!

no more reripping!

btw, whats the album artist tag?

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

After you put the CD in, select all the songs on it and hit command-I (Get Info). Check the box and select yes for Gapless (lower right corner).

I already was checking that box. It seems that due to the way iTunes new gapless feature works, especially with old rips, reripping is necessary for some albums to play gapless without a small click (not a gap) between songs.

10. Danny Futuro macrumors member

1g owner here, tried that method and it didnt work. Still about a half second gap between songs.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It only works on 5G iPods after installing firmware version 1.2.

12. Danny Futuro macrumors member

sorry, i meant 1g nano, not 1g standard ipod.

pretty pissed that this doesnt work, considering I just bought the thing in July.

:mad:

13. ArthurS macrumors newbie

So gapless does NOT work on the old 1G Nano, but it DOES work on the old 5G iPod?

Does the old 5G iPod also support the new search functionality and 640*480 videos, as does the 5.5G iPod?

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Could the song settings have changed for the songs - i.e. the song volume or equaliser settings? Just a thought..

15. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

CNet's review of the 80 GB iPod says that the firmware DOES add search functionality. I, however, have certainly not seen it on my one-month-old 5G iPod with the new firmware.

Would it be so tough for Apple to make this stuff more clear, instead of us having to figure it out on our own?

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The new iPod software brings the following to the original 5G iPods:

- Brightness controls
    - Games functionality
    - Smart Scrolling
    - Compatibility with new iTunes video format
    - Possibly gapless playback

There is no new software for the 1G iPod nano - nano software 1.2 came out BEFORE the recent event - it's main addition was the Nike + iPod stuff.

So far none of the new software features have been added to the 1G iPod nano despite the original 5G getting some and back when the 2G mini came out it and the 1G mini were given feature parity with software updates.

17. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I can verify that gapless playback works with the 60 GB 5G. I have several hip-hop albums that are either continuous mix or ones where the songs run together. The first thing I did after updating the iPod was to check those out - smooth as butter now. Love it.