5g video help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by joshwest, Nov 19, 2005.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

can someone please tell me why if i just export a avi to my ipod it wont show up i have no idea why it wont this si the reason why i bought the ipod and now its not working how it should anyone else have this trouble?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ipod's don't play avi files, son. ya shoulda looked that up afore ya got it.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple is pretty specific about the type of video files that the iPod can play. avi's aren't one of them, there are ways of making avi's work so do a search on how.

4. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

thats what i mean i have taken a avi file i can open up in quicktime export it to ipod and it will play in itunes at the bottom preview and will transfer to ipod but wont play

5. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

In order to export out of Quicktime you need Quicktime Pro.

iTunes plays a lot of file types in it's interface, not all of those file types can be played on the iPod. The video you have does not transfer to your iPod, it may appear to but it wont actually transfer. The only video files that will transfer are Quicktime Movies which are encoded with H.264 or MPEG4.

I suggest running it through Movie2Go... I think that will fix your problem. Or just buy Quicktime Pro.

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

FYI exporting a movie whether it be .avi or .mpg takes a long time.

but it will look nice in h.264 format.

beware also that right now a lot of video iPod's are freezing up while playing movies. thankfully it hasnt happened yet to me. :p

7. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

ffmpegX is the fastest encoder I've tried. It takes about 15 minutes to encode a 22 minute AVI on my machine (and I'm using a Mac Mini, FYI)

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

geez. sucks for me. the iBook in my sig using QT pro took about an hr to encode one episode of Seinfeld. guess i will have to explore some other encoding options.

9. The Reg macrumors newbie

FYI- I don't know if this has been mentioned before but iMovie has converted my avi files to MPEG4 without a hitch. No program downloads or paying for QT Pro. And yes...they play on my iPod perfectly.

10. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

ii have imovie hd and looked for the converter ccouldnt find it could you help me show me where to look

11. The Reg macrumors newbie

After you drag your avi file into iMovie, under the "File" menu, go to Share. After opening, click on Quicktime tab and select Compress movie for: Expert Settings and click Share button. Now when you save the file you can Export it as Movie to iPod (320 x 240).
    Or any other format that you choose.
    Hope this helps.
    :)

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

If you are using Windoze, I find PQ DVD to iPod is a good encoder. Does it in between 2 and 4 times real time, so that 22 minute avi would take me about 5-6 minutes. It does cost $34.95 for the license though, and without it, you are restricted to 5-10 minutes of footage at a time.

http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-video-converter.html

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This free app "isquint" is pretty good and getting better. http://homepage.mac.com/tylerl82/
    Simplilfies the conversion process as compared to ffmpeg. the code writer has emailed me the newest version and its pretty damn good! he will probably do the same if you ask him nicely.:)

14. Baked macrumors newbie

I've tried playing movie trailers converted to iPod compatible format using QT Pro. One of the videos won't display when I push play. I have to stop it, go back, play it again, and it's already playing at the middle of the trailer. Strange stuff.

15. bepster macrumors member

iSquint works just for the conversion to h.264, right??

well, 320x240 just doesn't do it for me when I play my movies on TV!!

gotta continue to do the the ffmpegx, I guess...

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Nope, does both. You either set it for optimum ipod display (h.264) or tv display (mp4). I too play on my tv and it hasnt failed me yet. you can even do advanced settings for bitrate etc if you want.

If you pm me your email address I will email you the latest version not available on the site yet.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, thanks for this info, I was wondering if something like this was possible in iMovie HD. Now to give it a try...

18. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete