Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
hello, i am in the middle of a sale on my ipod, and sure enough, i plug it in today and bang, it won't mount, i've tried everything, disk utility, reset of the ipod. I have come to a conclusion, that it is the fire wire jack, there is a tiny tiny crack, going down the fire wire metal casing (so to speak) When i unplug the ipod, the firewire jack, moves or shifts up... a mila metre or so... maybe 1/4 of a cm. Does anyone know what the problem is.... This is upsetting, because i am in the middle of a sale...

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
No body knows what i should do to fix this? I thought you were x-perts...I will be going to light computer (a mac retailer near me...) on friday... but wanted your advise first...

Thanks anyways

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
You need to wait a little longer than an hour... have patience.

Try using a different Firewire port or cable or other Firewire device or a different computer.

Also plug the iPod into the computer, and click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen, then clicking on 'More Info...' Select Firewire from the drop down menu. Do you see the iPod listed as a Firewire device?

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I have done, everything you have listed..its the firewire port/jack inside the ipod.

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
Well there isn't much we can do, just take it to an Apple store and have it replaced.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
Maybe you should buy my iPod and sell them as a combo.
If you want mine, it is in my store (linked in my signature.)
5gig 1st gen + 15gig 3rd gen +perfect price ($250?) = sales.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
nope, you've been bitten by Apple's latest Firewire bug... try mounting it through USB. I've had no problem that way, but the latest updates with Firewire support is a joke....

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
big said:
nope, you've been bitten by Apple's latest Firewire bug... try mounting it through USB. I've had no problem that way, but the latest updates with Firewire support is a joke....

I'm pretty sure you can't mount a 1st generation iPod through USB.

I've heard of problems with the first generation pods like this. Fixes have ranged from jiggling the firewire port with the cable to opening it up and resoldering the connection to the board (known issue) to taking it in and having it replaced under the $99.00 battery program.

Good luck.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
iGary said:
I'm pretty sure you can't mount a 1st generation iPod through USB.
You are correct. 1g & 2G iPods connot be connected via USB as they have firewire ports and not dock connectors.

I've heard of problems with the first generation pods like this. Fixes have ranged from jiggling the firewire port with the cable to opening it up and resoldering the connection to the board (known issue) to taking it in and having it replaced under the $99.00 battery program.
The question is, is fixing a 5GB iPod wothe the $99 + tax & shipping? Now if the person can open it up and fix it, that would definitely be worth doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.