Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Quite bizzare. Is this what happens when they run out of stock. Maybe the iPods are being updated soon, so Apple didn't manufacture any more of the old 5GB iPods, and ran out of their inventory sooner than expected...

iGod

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
If they've RUN OUT of inventory...could that mean...that they weren't keeping up inventory in the first place because it's going to be discontinued?
Price cuts across the line? 40GB VideoPod around the corner?
I don't believe that this was an acciental oversight by Apple...:p

iGod

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
My old 5GB iPod started to die and I took it into my local Applestore about 2 weeks or so ago and although they said they usually get replacement iPods everyday, they didn't have any for about a week. I thought it sounded a bit suspicious at the time. Then again, maybe the baby-boom of iPods beginning to go into retirement around December/Jan a year later (battery issues) put undue pressure on Apple.
But still, I'm hoping for iPodII!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: 5GB iPod: Not longer available?

Originally posted by tfaz1
The 5GB iPod no longer has options (Mac or Windows) to order it from the online store.

Was' up wit' dat?

This was also on the Apple store website: Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable.

It would help if you had included this in your original post as well.

Anyway, it could be as they said, or it could be they are discontinuing it. We'll see soon enough I expect.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Yes, I agree that Apple is too organized to just run out of stock. It could be holiday demand though, but I doubt it. I am really hoping for some price cuts/updates for the iPod. I will be interesting to see what happens.:D

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Just out of curiosity...

I checked the Dell web site. The 10 Gig and 20 Gig iPod are listed as "Usually Ships: 5-7 days", but the 5 Gig is shown as 3+ weeks.

I also checked at BestBuy.com. 10 Gig 5-7 Days, 20 Gig 2-3 days, 5 Gig "Not available for delivery at this time."

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I guess the strangest thing to me is that the Windows AND Mac versions are not available. It seems like they would run out of one or the other, but not both.

It seems that if something medium-cool were up they would just keep taking orders as usual (not to raise suspicions) and then release something new and ask those that ordered if they'd like the new thing instead. Sort of like powerbook sales the 2 weeks (or so) before MWSF.

Either something very huge (big enough that the same price wouldn't buy something in the new lineup) is coming.

OR

nothing at all and Apple isn't fibbing to us.

Hmmm... Is there any way to find out if they've purchased a super bowl spot? Could they be announcing something then?

iGod

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
This is getting too exciting for me! An international shortage of iPods!

Check out my post on the Other News section about CNN's gadget of the week!
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=18108

Could it be...?

When do you think they would make an announcement? This Friday...the 25th? Release date for iLife? Perhaps next Tuesday? I don't think they're going to wait much longer than a week or so to make an announcement if they're discontinuing the 5GB iPods (and replacing them with the 10GB at the same price point...maybe they're delaying so that other retailers can finish off their inventory too (did anyone read the thread about the discounted iPods?). I know that the only other major non-Apple Apple retailer in Manhattan (J&R Computerworld) had special deals with the iPod last month with up to $100 with a certain bundle...which came as a bit of a surprise since they NEVER have Apple sales on anything.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Firstly, why is this tread in the software section and not hardware?

And secondly, the 5gig is also not available from the Australian store - no reason given. Hmm, interesting!

James.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
That would be great if they lowered the price of all the iPods. I've been waiting for a while now to get an iPod. Hopefully this is something, and they aren't just out of stock. I guess I will wait and see what happens. :D

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I tend to believe Apple that they are purely sold out at the moment. I'm sure the sales of the 10/20gig are selling better now - ie people may get a larger capacity iPod rather than wait for new stock of the 5gig.

And because the iPods are selling so well, there's no reason for Apple to rush out a revision. We'll only see new iPods when sales start to fall, and that probably wont be for a few more months at the earliest.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
If Apple were going to get them back in stock, why would they not take orders? Companies are always happy to take orders, except when they know they won't have the product any longer. This way, customers who want a 5gb iPod will turn to other sources/stores, and deplete those supplies (not that apple doesn't get the money anyway). But it prevents disappointment and administrative hassles.

It simply makes no sense not to take the order, rather than simply say "expected shipping in 3+ weeks" or something.

Sounds like something's up (of course, maybe the 5gb iPod is just getting the touch-sensitive scroll wheel).

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
If Apple were going to get them back in stock, why would they not take orders? Companies are always happy to take orders, except when they know they won't have the product any longer. This way, customers who want a 5gb iPod will turn to other sources/stores, and deplete those supplies (not that apple doesn't get the money anyway). But it prevents disappointment and administrative hassles.

It simply makes no sense not to take the order, rather than simply say "expected shipping in 3+ weeks" or something.

Sounds like something's up (of course, maybe the 5gb iPod is just getting the touch-sensitive scroll wheel).

Good point there. It's like the when the LCD iMac come out, there was such demand for it, that there was huge waiting times on the things - yet they still took orders (I think). By the term "temporarily unavailable" it does suggest it will be back. So it's unlikely been dropped completely or is getting a full makeover, but the inclusion of the touch sensitive pad and maybe a smaller case (like the 10gig) sounds logical.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
"Due to heavy demand, the 5 GB model is not available now"
It says in Apple Store Germany!

There is something going on, guys!!!

iGod

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Dynamic ornamental appearance, anyone?

Touch-sensitive scroll wheel? Phooey! Me thinks not.
We're getting something MUCH cooler than that. The low-end model will be the 10GB - they're not just going to update the 5GB with a little tinkering here and there. They're updating the top-of-the line and moving the rest down a notch.
Then again, it could just be that they're gonna have 40GB iPods at the top without any major overhaul to the iPod concept...that would be a bit of a letdown. I want 100 DVDs in my pocket!:D

RachelF2

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle
Recent purchase of 20GB

I just bought a 20GB iPod on Jan. 8 (Yes, I was waiting for the MacWold keynote!) and it was backordered until 1/29. I called to cancel the order (I was going to just go to the nearest Apple store) and the said it would be shipped today. This leads me to believe they may have been a little light on all the iPods. Heavy holiday rush or purposly understocked, I don't know, but shortage is not unique to 5GB models.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by Le Big Mac

I have been hoping that the 5 GB got the touch-sensitive scroll wheel, because if I get an iPod, it will probably be the 5 GB (unless they discontinue it). So I am hoping that they update the 5 GB a little bit, or discontinue the 5 GB and make the 10 GB the low-end model.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
this is really cool, hope somethin big is comin. the apple japan and canada online stores dont have them either, so somethins up. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.