Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple has a philosophy and business model that we should all be familiar with by now.

If it doesn't work for you, then move on.

Unbelievable this concept hasn't sunk in yet.....

I'm extremely excited to be getting the 5S. Having been solely on my GS4 the last week +, I'm ready to be back home.

For me, Android is great - but not far superior to iOS because iOS simply works for me. It does the things I need to do extremely well and without hiccup.

Last edited:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I don't think the original poster is a troll. The truth hurts. Apple really isn't innovating any longer. You can either accept that. Or you can believe that everyone is trolling you. And i have used apple products all my life. I see this sort of like what happened when they got rid of Steve Jobs. How Apple slowly went the other direction as a company, and was forced to hire him back after. I personally think that this is a good thing. Not every company can stay king forever. And competition is healthy.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Apple doesn't target the 18-40 age range.

Apple targets household incomes over $70k a year in the USA. It's a very small yet significant distinction.

Walmart customer average household income is 35k a year. Target household income is 42k. Costco target household income is 70k a year.

Costco appeals to more affluent customers who spend more money.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
So IMO the 5s is enough to move some units, but apple has lost the gadget guys who brought them envouge in the first place, and that is a big issue since all my iphone wielding friends get green with envy when they see the crazy stuff I'm doing with my note 2.

This... magnified to the highest power!!!

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Apple doesn't target the 18-40 age range.

Apple targets household incomes over $70k a year in the USA. It's a very small yet significant distinction.

Walmart customer average household income is 35k a year. Target household income is 42k. Costco target household income is 70k a year.

Costco appeals to more affluent customers who spend more money.

Android has 52% market share vs 39% in the USA market apple lost even its home field advantage when the gs3 came out.

There stock also took a **** this morning and is down 40 bucks from yesterdays open.

Your post makes no sense as the whole reason the plastic 5 came out is to bring a cheaper phone to the market.

You can also get an iPhone 5 at Walmart and for the longest time they were selling the 5 for 129 with a 2 year contract while the top end androids were selling for 199 and the note 2 even today is 299 with a 2 year contract and that's for a 16gb version.

So android is not only more expensive its also out selling apple in its home market and getting crushed outside the usa

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have an Ipad Mini, my only Apple product. I doubt I'll ever get an iPhone whatever version and will continue to stick with android for smartphones. Now that's smart, android continues to push the envelope and there is so much to choose from without waiting a year!!! :)

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Myself and a core group of my buddies are all "gadget guys". We all are the demographic that apple used to covet. 18-40 year old guys who are creative types with enough disposable income to have the hottest new thing. Sometime around the 4s apple list the race to be the most cutting edge phone. Android is leaps and bounds better for guys like us. It just does more. Anytime I get bored I can find a cool little feature to enable on my phone, and it really has become nearly as capable as my macbook air.

Apple is no longer designing phones for us. They are making phones for everyone. A few years ago paying $30 per month for data on your phone was a crazy concept reserved only for the affluent.

The only problem is that gadget guys are the tastemakers of the world. Our ambivalence to iOS will eventually catch up with them.

It is hard to feel excited about that new Iphone when the dorky guy in the office is playing games on his 5.7 inch phone with a ps3 controller. Then plugging it into his Sony car stereo with full mirroring, all the while torrenting the last season of game of thrones.

So IMO the 5s is enough to move some units, but apple has lost the gadget guys who brought them envouge in the first place, and that is a big issue since all my iphone wielding friends get green with envy when they see the crazy stuff I'm doing with my note 2.

So Apple not designing for a niche but, instead, designing for the majority of users meanings they're "treading water"? Ok... :rolleyes:

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
#2. You overestimate the influence of tech geeks on the general public.

This bears repeating. As an auto enthusiast, I tend to feel the same way about my brands of choice. It's frustrating that we don't get as much horsepower as we think we should, or big enough brakes, or all-wheel-drive, or whatever... but ultimately, the manufacturer is designing for the other 99.5% of their customers; NOT us. We're loyal and we're good mouthpieces from a marketing perspective, but we're (as the enthusiast crowd) probably just as much of a persnickity pain in the butt as we are a benefit.

Apple's bread and butter is making devices that are familiar and dead simple to use. Jony phrased it perfectly when you think of the common Apple customer - "Technology is best when it simply disappears." Apple customers want the device to handle their business so they don't have to. They don't care how... they don't WANT to know how. I'm not criticizing either - I'm "tech geeky," yet I'm one of the people I just described.

Never really thought about the usefulness of a fingerprint sensor until I thought about it like this.

It takes 3-4 seconds to home button->slide to unlock->enter in my pass code (longer when I was on alpha numeric.)

I probably unlock my phone ~50 times per day which equates to roughly 200 seconds of unlocking my phone or ~3 minutes per day wasted accessing my phone.

Across an entire year that is ~1,000 minutes or 18 hours I have spent unlocking my phone which is ~$5,400 in lost productivity.

Well, that's depressing to think about. :p

The other angle is this - no longer do you have to try and unlock your phone while driving or doing something that you can't take your eyes off of. There have been plenty of times where I ask Siri to give me directions (in the middle of driving somehwere), and the phone then prompts me for my password. If I'm driving, this is unacceptable. The whole point of Siri is to be hands-free. With Touch ID, I can just put my finger on the sensor, unlock the phone, and continue on with my life.

Security + simplicity = win.

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
that's EXACTLY what i think. the android guys are offering us so much that it's hard to go for the iphone. and the iphone 5C was the worst idea ever, going from a better material to a CHEAP material, what's the point? another bad decision was that the 5C replaced iphone5..... i'm just gonna chill with my note 2 and wait for my note 3:D

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
And Apple's stock is tanking. Down 5% in just the first hour of trading. More of the same + no innovation = sell shares

Like speculation on the stock market has any indication about anything. I love the people that try to use the "stock market" angle just to take a dig at Apple instead of using rational thought.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Like speculation on the stock market has any indication about anything. I love the people that try to use the "stock market" angle just to take a dig at Apple instead of using rational thought.

All I can say is what the heck have they been doing at Apple for the last half year? Forget yesterday and today's price drop, look at it from that time period.

The answer is nothing, the price is deserving of what has been going on which is not much but taking in the sun and sipping their favorite drinks perhaps?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/only-things-normal-people-know-132501138.html

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Android has 52% market share vs 39% in the USA market apple lost even its home field advantage when the gs3 came out.

There stock also took a **** this morning and is down 40 bucks from yesterdays open.

Your post makes no sense as the whole reason the plastic 5 came out is to bring a cheaper phone to the market.

You can also get an iPhone 5 at Walmart and for the longest time they were selling the 5 for 129 with a 2 year contract while the top end androids were selling for 199 and the note 2 even today is 299 with a 2 year contract and that's for a 16gb version.

So android is not only more expensive its also out selling apple in its home market and getting crushed outside the usa

Android phones are not more expensive for the most part. With exception of high end android devices most android phones are much cheaper than iPhones.

Also most phones are sold in USA on postpaid plans.

It's a well known fact (Sprint CEO already admitted carriers subsidize the iPhone 40% more than any other phones on the market). So its pretty safe to assume sprint and other carriers are paying much less in bulk for Galaxy S4 than they are paying for iPhones.

So tell me. Are android phones more expensive than iPhones?

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Amen. I am not a troll or a hater. I meant this post more as a dear john letter to apple. It isn't too late. If apple diversified its line up and offered a broader range of phones, sped up its release dates, and loosened a few restrictions on iOS development higher end users would come back.

Apple has transitioned from making the highest end hardware on the market to milquetoast comoditised phones.

They can do better, and everyone knows it. But then what incremental update will they sell for Iphone 6?

Reaching lower with the 5c is the worst thing I have heard in a while. Why not shoot for the stars with a Iphone pro cost be damned cram everything and the kitchen sink in. People will buy it.

Kinda like the droves of people that bought the MacPro?

Seriously though, you need to understand the global market better. US, Europe are saturated markets, they are the ones buying more expensive phones. The low cost phones are for emerging markets (esp China). While some in US/EU will buy them that's just icing on the cake.

I also think you need to get a better concept of Apple's direction. It's clear you aren't their target market so they won't be catering to you. It's not something you have to like, because there are options (Samsung, Nokia, et al).

If Apple were to "out-Android" Android, I predict you'd see the same thing that happened to Coca-Cola when they made "New Coke" because it was more like Pepsi. A disaster of epic proportions.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Every year, someone says that Apple is treading water, yet every iPhone outsells the older ones combined.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Might want to include the entire title "Apple Chooses Profits Over Marketshare for Flash-Based iPods"

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Chooses+Profits+Over+Marketshare+for+FlashBased+iPods/article4197.htm

I just read what I quoted from the stock app on the iPhone. The rest of the title that you quoted wasn't shown. I didn't read the article. I assumed it was talking about the iPhone since it was the day after the event and the iPhone was all the big news.

The headline no longer shows on the stock app.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Android phones are not more expensive for the most part. With exception of high end android devices most android phones are much cheaper than iPhones.

Also most phones are sold in USA on postpaid plans.

It's a well known fact (Sprint CEO already admitted carriers subsidize the iPhone 40% more than any other phones on the market). So its pretty safe to assume sprint and other carriers are paying much less in bulk for Galaxy S4 than they are paying for iPhones.

So tell me. Are android phones more expensive than iPhones?

I don't care what 4th place carriers subsidize there plans out as they also do the same for apple but the gs3,note,note2 and gs4 all had the same exact msrp as the iPhone 5

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't care what 4th place carriers subsidize there plans out as they also do the same for apple but the gs3,note,note2 and gs4 all had the same exact msrp as the iPhone 5

It's not just 4th place carrier. Verizon and ATT get the same big discounts from Samsung HTC to push their android phones.

MSRP doesn't matter in the post paid world since the percentage of people paying full price are extremely small. I estimate less than 2-3% of people pay full msrp for carrier post paid phones.

Apple probably discounts the post paid carrier 10% from msrp while Samsunf discounts 20-30% off msrp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.