5S - "This cable or accessory is not certified"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by punkmofo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Just started getting this message the other day (using an official cable) and now my phone won't charge at all. Anyone else having this problem?

2. macrumors 6502

MsRandall

Unauthorized cables will do this .... The work around is to plug the cable into the phone then to the outlet or PC

3. punkmofo, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the cable that came with the phone, and it doesn't seem to make a difference in which order I plug it in.

4. macrumors 604

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's' s what I'm thinking. I was just wondering if this was a widespread problem with the 5S or just a faulty cable. I was planning on getting a 3rd party cable, but it seems they've built in something to prevent that now.

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors regular

Mine has done this a handful of times as well. I've yet to find out the cause :confused:

8. macrumors regular

havent had this issue with the cord apple provided. Bought a 3rd party one off amazon but it is certified by apple so it works.

But i also bought a cheap one to see if it would work. It does work but warns me that it wont work. i click ok then it works fine....so far

9. macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

The last few days I've been getting the same message with my apple cable, but it only seems to pop up once the phone is fully charged, and once I unplug it, it works fine again