5S - "This cable or accessory is not certified"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by punkmofo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2006
    Just started getting this message the other day (using an official cable) and now my phone won't charge at all. Anyone else having this problem?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2011
    Bay Area, Ca
    Unauthorized cables will do this .... The work around is to plug the cable into the phone then to the outlet or PC
  3. punkmofo, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2006
    It's the cable that came with the phone, and it doesn't seem to make a difference in which order I plug it in.
  4. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2006
    Yes, that's' s what I'm thinking. I was just wondering if this was a widespread problem with the 5S or just a faulty cable. I was planning on getting a 3rd party cable, but it seems they've built in something to prevent that now.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2010
  7. macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2011
    Mine has done this a handful of times as well. I've yet to find out the cause :confused:
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2012
    havent had this issue with the cord apple provided. Bought a 3rd party one off amazon but it is certified by apple so it works.

But i also bought a cheap one to see if it would work. It does work but warns me that it wont work. i click ok then it works fine....so far
  9. macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2010
    The last few days I've been getting the same message with my apple cable, but it only seems to pop up once the phone is fully charged, and once I unplug it, it works fine again