5th Gen iPod with 8GB of "other"... HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chaceur, Mar 29, 2007.

1. chaceur macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2007
    I have a 5th Generation 30GB iPod with video playback. I'm running Windows XP on a PC. iTunes says I currently have a capacity of 27.82GB, of which 19.59GB is "music," 7.98GB is "other," and 253.5MB is "free space."

I'm pretty curious as to what could be taking up an entire 8 GIGS :eek: worth of my iPod space. I looked at my iPod in windows explorer with the visibility on... Inside the "iPod_Control" folder, the "Artwork" folder is 34.8MB, the "Music" folder is 19.5GB, the "Device" folder is 20kb, and the "iTunes" folder is 73.8MB.

If I go back to the iPod directory from the "iPod_Control" folder I notice that there's another "Music" folder here, and that it's 7.86GB.

:confused: Could someone please explain what's going on with my iPod?
    (And also how to fix it?)
  2. Draythor macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006
    Exeter University, UK
    Have you tried wiping your iPod and restoring it?
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I second this - just restore your iPod to a factory state, then resync it. That should make the problem go away.
  4. chaceur thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2007

So how do I restore my iPod to a factory state and resynch it?
  5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Plug your iPod in and click on it under Devices on the side. Once you do that you should be under the Summary tab. From there just click the restore button, it will be in the greyed section in the center of the screen.
  6. chaceur thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2007

Thanks! Restoring seemed to clear the problem right up. :D