5th Generation iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pookmail, Sep 27, 2005.

1. pookmail macrumors newbie

I would like to buy an iPod soon. I'm looking at the 60Gb color. What are the rumors you guru's have heard? I saw some posts that said mid-year, but it is past that. I just don't want to buy one now and a month later some super cool one comes out and I missed out. Happened to a friend with the 2nd generation. I know there is always something new on the horizon and you have to talk jump sometime. It just seems that the 4th gens have been out a long time. I'm thinking they have to do something before X-mas...unless the Nano was their big X-Mas push....
    I just don't know thats why I'm asking.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh it's coming.... :eek: :D ;) :eek:

Attached Files:

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Is that a real invitation?? Why haven't I heard anything about that if it is?

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thats a joke. Have you ever seen an Apple ad look anything like that? I don't think it will be until at least sometime next year until the 4g ipods are replaced. But thats my guess.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hellll no! It took me about 5 minutes on Photoshop.

Apple's never made an invitation that looks that dodgy.

6. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Good try, C.
    I don't think Apple is rolling out anything major in next 3 months or so. For me, I hate the feeling of procastination. Follow your heart if you have to.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The 3rd gen iPod was released in April '03, the 4th, July '04. Hmm, perhaps you have a point... ;)

8. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I don't think they will release it this year either, but it also wouldn't surprise me if October 7th did become a reality. Apple certainly need to announce something big soon, their laptops seem to be getting a joke and all the signs have pointed towards a video iPod for some time too.

I just can't see where the design improvements would be on a 5th Generation, (as we know the generation refers to a major design change, even photos/colour screen were still classed as 4th gen).

9. pookmail thread starter macrumors newbie

The few articles I did piece together said something about a user replaceable battery. That would be nice. Also how Apple wanted to get away from the Synapsys wheel. A bigger better screen would be nice.

So what is so significate about October 7th?

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I never saw either of these posts, but apparently somebody here posted in detail about the nano, (including the name, which everyone then went on to rubbish saying apple would never choose such a name), and it was all spot on. That same person then apparently said that October 7th would see the launch of the video iPod. I still think it will be unlikely, but that's one date I am looking out for at least.

Where else would you think Chundles got that date from in that fake Photoshopped invitation.

11. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I think we'll see something before Xmas... Jobs himself said that the new iPods were on the way, and with three months to Xmas I wouldn't be surprised - but I think November rather than October.

Doubt we'll see a user replaceable battery, and IIRC the only change to the wheel was a move to in-house tech. The wheel control is too iconic to remove. Maybe additonal buttons will be required if there is to be a video iPod.

I've just sold my 60gigger as I think something is on the way. If there isn't I'll "make do" with the nano until the time comes with the £250 from the 60gigger sitting in a savings account :D

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Yes, they have moved the slick wheel's manufacturing to in house, (already done this with the nano, any new models should follow). I'm not too sure whether they will want to add any more buttons though, as they currently pride themselves on the iPods simplicity, not to mention where to put them. If they were across the top, it would look too much like a step bac, (looking like the 3G), anywhere else would run the risk of you accidently catching them while trying to operate the wheel, (unless you had a button lock and a click wheel lock, in which case it would get too confusing for some).

Tough choices, but if there is another major design overhaul, I look frward to them stunning me with something, but video and a removable battery is all I can think of for now.

13. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

Are there any articles floating around on someone's compy about October 7th?

Also, my expectation is that the miniaturization-scheme will continue.... not that the 'full-size' iPod will become mini-sized (then I would expect it in January at the earliest), but that things will be even more stylized and smoother, thinner, etc.

14. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Come on already Apple

New iPods SOON! PLEASEEEE

15. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

If you want to wait, there might be something coming soon, but the rumors I've read don't say anything about it being iPod related. I think the big iPod event was a few weeks ago when the nano was introduced.

Personally, I would recommend you either buy the 60G color model, or a 6G mini (while stores still have them in stock) depending on how much money you want to spend.

IMO, the nano is not as nice as the mini. I think the things that were lost (FireWire, storage capacity, metal case, some battery life) are more important than the things that were gained (flash memory, ultra-thin, color screen). But there are a lot of people who strongly disagree with me on this subject.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Well last week in an interview with The Guardian, Mr. Jobs did say that there wasn't much in the way of new hardware on the way (I'm paraphrasing here) but the new iPods definately were... I'll see if I can find the quote....

Apart from nano - which, as a replacement for the best-selling iPod mini, is a major move for the company - Apple's cupboard is fairly bare. It is a low point in the product cycle, with much of the behind-the-scenes work focusing on the Intel-based computers due next summer. But new iPods are on the way, and Jobs promises "a lot of new things in the pipeline"

So there is hope - and if it is going to happen before the holiday season, they'll need to be on the shelves by mid-Nov at the latest.....

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'd be surprised if there were no new regular sized iPods at all in 2005.

18. davey-nb macrumors regular

Regular iPods in mini type metal clothing perhaps??
    That would make me buy. The nano hasn't done it for me yet...

19. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Umm, I think they should at least get a storage bump out before the holidays. I would really like to buy a 40GB with a color screen but Apple discontinued that awhile ago and has brought out no mid-line iPods...

I don't think that the 5th Gen is due till March 06 at the earliest. And I don't think that there will be any video on any iPod untill 07 or later. Doesn't anyone listen to Steve when he talks? He has said time and time again that video and a 2-inch screen do not go together and that the iPod is not the right device for video. Doesn't anyone pay attention.....? It will be a longo time before a video Pod ever gets built because right now Steve has no plans of doing such a thing.

20. pookmail thread starter macrumors newbie

Well....it sounds like a lot of confliting rumors. I've got the money to spend. I just got a $300 gift certificate for Amazon and its burning a hole in my pocket. And it has an iPod written all over it. The Nano is just do dang small. I'd break it. Plus I'm lazy and want the storage space. I don't want to have to keep swapping songs. 60 Gb will do most of my stuff. Once on it would be a rare occasion I'd have to change anything.

I just need some good hard facts. I guess I'll wait until that magic October 7th date and see what shakes down then.

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

For some reason my mind jumps to Steve's comments on flash-based players when I read this... ;) :D

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I am guessing that the 5th Gen iPods are going to have large increases in HD space. For a few reasons, but mainly because videos are starting to be sold iTunes. Maybe an increase in screen size and quality as well. Just a guess.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or how about all the things he said they didn't want to do with the G4 iMac, which ended up in the G5 iMac. ;)

24. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

Are you aware that they lowered the price of the 60G model to $400? That's cheaper than the 40G photo was ($500) and the same price of the also-now-discontinued 30G photo.

25. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

Phrases like "on the way" and "in the pipeline" are meaningless phrases. They simply mean stuff is being worked on.

The only time a corporation isn't working on a new product is if it plans on going out of business.