5th Generation iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chriscorcoran, Jul 22, 2004.

1. chriscorcoran macrumors newbie

Hey I wanted to get some feed back and see what other people would like to see in the 5th generation iPod or maybe some ideas for iPod accessories.

I know I would love to see the next iPod with built in bluetooth and bluetooth headphones.

I know I have friends who are chopping at the bit to wifi their iPod. I don’t know why I mean do you really wanna sync 5gbs of music at 80/kbs?

I would love to see maybe a RCA Audio and Video out or maybe even the ability to take record high quality audio.

Maybe even like an iPod Pro in that it becomes less like an mp3 player and more like a portable digital media storage hub.

Idk, its just some ideas. What do you think?

-Chris

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

not enough bandwidth for good quality stereo headphones - bluetooth would however be cool for wireless remote.

3. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Haha it didn't take long for the first 5G iPod thread did it. I think Apple may have set out it's stall with the 4G saying we are going to keep the iPod a music player. Which maybe does leave room for your iPod pro idea .

The one thing I would really like to see are wifi, to link up with airport express so it can be used as just a remote streaming music from PC or music can be streamed straight from the iPod. Also friends could bring their music round on their iPods, it would be good if you could also stream between iPods. I think any airport express remote will probably be a separate device anyway though.

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

By next summer the new BT 2.0 standard should be finalized and it will have more then enough bandwidth to transmit music. it should be around 802.11B speeds. However no way in heck would I want to have such a transmitter next to my head. Thanks but I'll get my cancer the old fashioned way.

5. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

New docks & smarter iTunes

I am not sure what I would want from the iPod that is not in it allready. For music I do not need bigger capacities than the current offerings but if Home On iPod becomes a reality then 40 GB would be the minimum for me. More anti-skip memory could make loss-less encoded music on the go more practical and stretch battery life even further.

What I would like to see next are better peripherals. Here are a two ideas:

A new dock with coaxial and/or SPDIF outputs would be a great fit for any hi-fi with a digital amplifier. A video out would not be necessary but it would be a nice bonus to view visualiser-style graphics and track information through the television. Better yet, if the Hi-Fi Dock has inputs it could be used to super-impose track information over any program playing on the television.

In the car I would like a dock that would replace my CD player. I would slide my iPod into this dock and it would have its own navigation buttons and screen. Basically it would use the iPod as a hard drive.

I would also like to see some changes in the way iTunes communicates with the iPod. While many 3.5" hard drives can hold music collections ripped as lossless files, the size of those collections is too big for iPods. iTunes should have a feature that lets you rip an Audio CD and store lossless files on the computer hard drive while automatically exporting those tracks as AAC files on the iPod. This way the iPod and the computer could have the exact same libraries and playlists without overloading the iPod or compromising on sound quality on the computer.

That is all I can think of now. The iPod is a great device and I do not want to see its simplicity taken away for the sake of having more functions like colour video screens, built-in microphones, etc. With a focus on music Apple has made a good product great and I am in no doubt that they will make it even greater. I only hope that they use some of my ideas.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Perhaps there is an iPod Pro in the works......for that $499 price that has suddenly been abandoned. I know people are saying the iPods are cheaper now.....but they're really not. The 40GB 4G iPod is $100 less than the 3G was but lacking some of the accessories. Besides, they have continually pulled the larger storage iPods down to a lower price as larger iPods are introduced......that's not making them cheaper, that is keeping up with current demands in the technology marketplace. I don't think Apple would just abandon the $499 price on iPods.....especially when people are willing to pay it. It seems that something must be in the works. If there is to be an iPod Pro (or something similar), $499 would definitely be the right price.....considering you would not want to go much higher b/c you'd be getting too close to their low end computer pricing.

7. kill_me macrumors newbie

kill_me

i think that the 60 gb model will fill the $599 price spot. they are just denying it to keep you from waiting to buy it. they want our money now.

i would like to see a built in microphone in the 5gen ipod. i also like the idea of have the connectors on the dock to connect to my stereo or my tv to listen to my music or watch movies.

i don't think any of my ideas will actually happen, because apple is into keeping it simple.

8. iMook macrumors regular

9. kill_me macrumors newbie

kill_me

10. Arnel macrumors member

One thing I thought would be useful, if ever they do put wi-fi in the iPod would be streaming internet radio. They already have it in iTunes, so it would be cool to have it streamed to your iPod when you're around the house.

There are some reasons not to have wifi in the iPod, though. FIrst and foremost, the amount of battery drain. Secondly, the cost. Thirdly, you then have the fun of trying to configure your iPod to all sorts of TCP/IP settings for all your different wifi hotspots (I'm sure they'd find a way of making it painless, but it could end up being really thorny if they did it wrong).

Neil.
    a.k.a. Arnel

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

2 things:

-An actual blue screen...none of this blue-white (depends on which factory it comes out of) thing. Blue is very pleasing.

-FM tuner. Would probably take up $2.33 of the price and barely any of the size. Would certainly use less energy than spinning hard disks. Use the wheel to tune up and down, and the nav buttons for pre-sets---cake.

Can't really ask for too much...it is Apple ;)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. WiFi simply isn't needed on an iPod. Its a very slow method for file transfers, so the only thing it can be used for is streaming to Airport Express, and I wouldn't want a feature like that making an iPod any bigger. Anyway, why not just use your computer and AExpress at home to play your music? I can't imagine carrying my iPod around my home to listen to music unless you live in a mansion.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i'm actually really happy with this 4G ipod - only thing i'd like to be added would be the crossfades.

14. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Maybe Apple can put an actually headphone amp in the iPod. Something like the one use in Xin's Super Micro. And put a effing On/Off switch in already. Toolless battery change.

15. aptmunich macrumors member

There is a headphone amp in there, otherwise you couldn't hear anything...
    You mean a better headphone amp that is powerful enough to drive full-size cans? Sorry, but why bother when 80% use the ibuds anyway...

The sleep mode will have to suffice, for if they included a complete power off switch, the database would have to reload every time you switched on, which would take about a minute on a full ipod.

Imagine having to wait that long, just to be able to then select a song..
    an alternative would be having a sleep mode & the on off switch, but that would go against the principle of keeping it simple!

Same goes for toolless battery change. Imagine a ipod with a crummy battery compartment door like most of mobile phones -> absolute loss of elegance &style iMHO

16. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I don't think the 4G are worthy of their name!

I don't feel that Apple has made much of a difference between the 3G and 4G iPods. Sure they look different, but all this stuff with new menus etc could have easily have been implemented into the 3G.

What about some more noticable improvements (apart from the battery). Who else here finds it annoying that you can only store notes up to certain length onto your iPod? If you don't know what I'm talking about, try it: put a large long document onto your iPod, and you'll only be able to scroll so far!

Apple are renowned for their simplicity, but sometimes I feel like I'm figiting with the iPod too much. Bluetooth technology would be excellent. It would mean you could listen and control the iPod wirelessly.

How about the ability to add more games to the iPod?

How about voice technology, i.e. speak to iPod: PLAY SONG 'X' REPEAT, CREATE ON THE GO: ADD SONG X, Y, Z...?

How about the ability to allow you to transfer songs from your iPod to Mac?

How about incorporating a new sound file format?

How about giving £5/£10 iTunes gift certificates from free with iPod purchases? This is bound to make more people try the iTunes store and make it more popular.

How about a security feature on the iPod? I.e. enter pin number: i.e. play, play, menu, select.

How about a welcome screen/message that is customizable? I.e. 'Think Different."

How about a calculator? How about touch screen? How about the hard-drive braces for impact if it detects a fall? (as advertised on IBM adverts), how about batteries you can remove?

ARGH! Just some ideas which I think should be seriously considered being implemented into the iPod.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good try at brainstorming ideas, but have you ever thought of the possibility that a calculator wasn't added because there's no number pad, and any other form of input would be dumb? How about the fact that a HDD brace that detects falls would have to be on all the time in order to actually detect for a fall continuously, and so it would drain the battery and reduce battery life? How about size limitations. Can you imagine Apple adding stuff to the iPod while making it bigger? I don't want anything bigger, and most people would say the same thing. WIFI.... space issue. Some of the others are do-able, but a customizable login/welcome screen would require text input, and unless you're going to input text directly from iTunes, which would require adding clutter to a good PREFERENCES menu, then there's no point.

I think some of your ideas are do-able, though.

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Microphone

Seen some pretty outlandish wants from people, don't forget it's Apple & not Sony ;)

I would love to see a built-in mic. Wouldn't be too hard, you've already got the sound processor and storage, a mic wouldn't be that big right?

Would also love to see an aluminum backing (less scratches) and maybe poly-carb LCD cover instead of plastic, to make it a scratch-resistant-machine.
    This would remove the need to get large gummy accessories to stretch over it and make it bigger.

19. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I think they should make the battery take more, so maybe we could get 16 hours. Then, add in the backlighting to the wheel, I love the backlighting. An FM tuner would be awesome, but I don't think that would ever make it into the iPod. Maybe the iPod mini. After that, I'd like to see some really cool innovation that would make me buy an iPod, that everyone doesn't know they need, but after seeing it, does need it.
    –Chase

20. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

give it a rest - there will not ever be an analog radio in the ipod... never!

21. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

three words for you: 3rd party accessories.

22. ifjake macrumors 6502a

voice technology? we don't need no stinkin' voice technology.

some of these wants seem rather superfluous. if anything maybe the possibility for 3rd party stuffs to be more powerful. like for those clamoring for video capability, just plug a decoder of somesort with appropriate connectors into your iPod, which now acts as a hard drive. WiFi? plug it in. i don't know how likely or doable that is, but i don't aggree with saturating that simple elegence of the iPod with all this ... stuff. maybe there will be an iPod extreme or something, but it still seems kinda overkill.

23. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I hope that eventually the ipods will be integrated into some sort of PDA. Listen to an audiobook while recieving email. Access the web. What do you think? Some catchy name- ipad or something. :p

24. afields macrumors 6502

afields

Line in for recording. If minidisc can do it, so can apple. I'm not just talking voice recording, I'm talking music.

25. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Hello!

GarageBand, afields? :rolleyes:
    Export it to iTunes and put it on your iPod.