5th Generation iPods...WHEN?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greenguy4, Mar 4, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I know everyone says not to wait but lets pretend I did wait -- when are people expecting them out. I know nobody knows but does anyone have an educated (or even uneducated) guess?

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Whenever Apple decides to release them would be my guess.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

try looking at the buyers guide on this website

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Until Apple Proves otherwise, I'm considering the iPod photo as the 5G iPod, especially since there is now only one monochrome iPod Left.

TEG

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

New iPods probably won't come out until January 2006. These new 5G iPods will likely reach 80GB, color screen across the board, 30 plus hours battery life.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

http://www.portalplayer.com/news-and-events/5022_announcement.htm

Try 40+ hours of battery life. I think 5G ipods will be here this fall. The 4G didn't undergo that many changes and the PP 5022 is shipping NOW. Your welcome :D

7. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome!

Well looks like I'm waiting. The 5th generation sounds like it will be a huge jump in quality: better battery, more room, lower cost, color screen. I dont mind waiting a while.
    Thanks Guys!

8. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

9. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

holy balls...40+ hours would be incredible! especially seeing as my 3G is currently topping out at about 3-4. wow...let the waiting begin.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I totally agree. Monochrome screen to color screen is just as much of a change as moving wheel to touch wheel, and since the monochrome seems to clearly be getting phased out, the iPod Photo should be regarded as 5G.

11. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I think that we will see it get an update at MW Paris. I’m thinking that they may do something like make the click wheel more touch sensitive aka make it pressure sensitive because Steve said he liked the idea of a iPod with no moving parts. I am almost positive that we will see the color screen get put in and have the 30 gb 299 and probably the 40 or 60 in the 399 version and maybe bluetooth also.

12. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

bluetooth?

Well bluetooth seems like it would be cool. Would this take a really long time to sync it thought with iTunes...well compared with firewire?

13. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

We'll try to remember this in May, er, whose testicle are you betting?

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Proof the iPod photo is the 5G iPod.

TEG

Attached Files:

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

heck yes it is slower..... firewire is 400mb/s and bluetooth is 8-9 mb/s i think...

Please correct me if i am wrong. And to clarify - the iPod Photo is the 5G...

kyle

p.s they won't lower prices.... much at all.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Bluetooth 1.1 was 723 kbps... theoretically, real life tests didn't even come close...

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR is said to be 3 Mbps... again theoratically, it's so new I haven't seen any real life tests... some also state this speed to 2 or 2.1 Mbps...

To compare: USB1.1 is 12 Mbps, Firewire400 is - well - 400 Mbps, and USB2 is 480 Mbps (hi-speed, that is, there are also USB2 devices only supporting 12 Mbps), and all these comes much closer to their theoretical speeds then Bluetooth 1.1...

Remember all these speeds are in bits, to get how many bytes, just divide by 8... so a 4 MB song will take at least 11 seconds to transfer using Bluetooth 2.0, filling a 4 GB mini about 3 hours. Good luck. Not to mention that it would probably drain the battery of the smaller device long before it was filled...

17. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

plug it in to charge, use as HDD, fill from empty, software restore etc...

wireless to update calendars, address books, add songs if its only a few (like each time you buy a couple from iTMS), and best of all, share music with other iPod BT users

oh yeah, and when using BT do it without disabling functions, man i wish they would find a way to get rid of that do not disconnect screen while synching so i could add songs while using the ipod.

18. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Do you think we'll get a design change?

Like we did with the 4G? While I like the look, I never really have felt the grey CW, and the buttons seem a little 'flimsy' to me (feel like they could wear out fast).