6.0.1 has improved maps!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dj95, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Just looked around at a few places in the UK and the maps have definitely improved. Before the update I couldn't zoom in on many areas when in satellite mode around where I live as all it would show was a no image icon. At last :)

2. Guest

WeegieMac

The Maps app takes it data from a central server, where changes can be made at will by Apple. An update to iOS does not bring actual changes to the Maps data, as this can be done at any time on the server itself.

The new data, if any, seems to have coincided with iOS 6.0.1's release rather than have been caused by it.

3. macrumors 6502a

I can see my house again via the satellite view, pity the POIs i've reported as wrong haven't been corrected. One thing at a time i guess.

I wish the search would work better though. I put sainsburys, northampton and it can't find it (listed as J Sainsbury). I put just northampton and it sends me off across to the states. US-centric searches like this irritate me!

4. macrumors member

Bridge Renders

I noticed last week that they had improved a number of the bridge renders in NYC that originally appeared 'flattened' so I think that improving the maps overall is an ongoing and incremental process for them.

Hopefully they revise the algorithm for the turn-by-turn directions, also. In my tests the routes Mapple chooses are far inferior to what the Tomtom app for iOS chooses.

5. Guest

WeegieMac

I can also confirm that the map data for my area has improved greatly. There is a small forest area behind my home which previously was parted in two, over two tiles, one side reasonably high resolution and the other pixelated.

The full surrounding area is now complete and higher resolution.

6. macrumors 6502a

8a22a

York's satellite imagery is greatly improved. It's now in colour. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351804158.853761.jpg

7. macrumors 65816

Still pathetic where I live. Satellite view is blurry and in black and white. I'm in North America.

Pathetic. Apple has the largest war chest of any tech company in the world but can't be bothered to purchase colour satellite images for a relatively populous area?

8. macrumors 68020

cyks

Nothing here... it's still placing my (and most of my community) in the middle of the vacant woods.

9. cRuNcHiE, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

It's now using google maps for my area!

It's also improved here too.

I thought it hadn't at first but once I had zoomed out and in again, the new data loaded so its not just a blur .

It's now using google maps data ! I confirmed by loading google maps and the shadows in the satellite images are exact, as is the image itself

10. Guest

WeegieMac

While Glasgow is improved in places, nowhere is yet using images anywhere near the quality of Google's map imagery.

11. macrumors regular

Just noticed this too. Now full colour when I zoom fully into my house, but still black and white when zoomed out a little bit

12. cRuNcHiE, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Here is confirmation that the google maps data is the same as apple maps in 6.01 for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think the map updates have anything to do with 6.0.1

I'm still on 6.0.0 but can see improvements to the mapping data. A few of the larger local towns are now labeled and I can see a village has been moved to it's correct place and the satellite images are much improved.

Dudley is still 7 miles out of place though and I haven't noticed any improvements to the POIs. At least they've made a start. :)

14. Nermal, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

Nermal

Staff Member

Most of my town is now in colour! I say "most", because the northeast is still greyscale :rolleyes:

Edit: But Google's not perfect either!

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors 65816

Great for you guys then. As far as I'm concerned, my area Singapore still looks like some iCloud city, Apple hasn't made any changes since I reported it like 1 month ago. Why do I get the feeling that they're more inclined to fix the Western and European states than Asian ones?

17. macrumors 6502a

18. macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

19. macrumors 6502

Aarhus, Denmark: Nothing changed, still sucks.

20. macrumors regular

Also, if you're currently in the middle of driving to a destination, Maps will give you an eta now, I didn't notice it before in ios6

21. macrumors 68000

Sylon

My street is still spelled wrong.

Are you serious?!?! Thank god. I was annoyed losing that when I ditched my GPS for my iPhone.

22. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You posted the same picture three times. A screen shot of Safari on your iPad running Google Maps.

You should compare it to the actual Maps application...

23. macrumors regular

I know! I was pleasantly surprised earlier today.

24. macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I'm sure that was there before, they've just made the font bigger I think.

----------

It no longer thinks my house is the entire Yorkshire Dales National Park when planning a route home. :)

25. macrumors member

ETA has always been there. While in navigation mode: Press the screen to get ETA and other information about your route. Press the screen again to hide this information.