6-8 weeks Wait? PowerBooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacBidouille claims there is now a 6-8 week delay on PowerBooks, hinting at updates soon.

2. macrumors newbie

Agree

This seems to agree with a Paris announcement. Thus the new PowerBooks may finally be on the way. :)

3. macrumors member

Let's Hope...

Well, we've waited this long... :D

It's going to be quite a funny sight:- all the guys wandering into our local reseller and saying:

[Us] We all want them new-fangled 17" powerbooks
    [Them] Where should we send the truck?

-- Dan :D
    [edit] I didn't realise that www.hardmac.com was an english translation (with a wee bit of a delay) of our fav french site. That was until about a week ago (yes, I am very sheltered) ;)

here is the (human) translation (by Erik at hardmac):

"According to one of our "confidential" sources, all the PowerBooks are now available with a delay of 6 to 8 weeks. None is immediately available.
    So far, this type of delay has always been the sign of new models, due very soon."

4. macrumors member

One can't help but feel seasick on this boat of rumors. :p

5. macrumors 6502

Re: 6-8 weeks Wait? PowerBooks?

I generally don't point out typos, but this one messes up the whole meaning of the snetence ;) not = now

6. macrumors 6502a

The 15" Powerbook ships same day in Belgium. I also checked the US online store and it says 6-7 days. Maybe there was a translation error from French?

7. macrumors regular

It would be nice to see some confirmation of this. US Apple store is reporting between 3-5 and 5-7 days on all PB's ( except the 17 which is available immediately ). Hopefully more confirming evidence will show up today.

8. macrumors regular

Hmmm, this doesn't tie in with the UK Apple store, all Powerbooks seem to be ready to ship 'same day'. (I just added one of each model to my cart and checked).

I got a refurb 12" Powerbook today, it's very nice! I decided that as G5 isn't coming to PB for a while, and with my iBook long in tooth a 12" would be nice.

9. macrumors newbie

Yes I just noticed that. Pity, seemed like a good hint.

Think Ill be looking at the referb store again on Wednesday as well (after taking to long to decide last week)

10. macrumors newbie

Um....is there or isn't there a "deplay"? What is it anyway;)

11. macrumors regular

slightly

Clearly, "deplay" is the opposite of "replay". Replay means to come again or be seen again, so "deplay" would mean "to not be seen again".

According to the rumour, there is *not* a deplay. Two nots cancel each other out, and therefore the obvious meaning of the rumour is that we *will* be seeing PowerBooks again in 6 to 8 weeks.

Marvellous.

Matt

12. macrumors 68030

DeltaMac

'deplay' means to no longer participate in non-work (I think) :)

13. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehehe... is this the weekly "Powerbooks Due Within Days!" thread? Weird, but I keep getting deja vu reading this thread.:D

14. macrumors member

No this is the daily/bi-daily powerbook rumor. I want them though! Later, gotta goto work :(

15. macrumors member

Won't the sentense make more sense if we assume there is TWO typos? not->now, and deplay->delay?

16. macrumors 68030

DeltaMac

Typos!? I was assuming that the translation from the macbidouille was as accurate as their info normally is. Why should any crappy translation affect the validity of a rumor from macbidouille?

17. macrumors newbie

So when the Powerbooks do finally come out, does that mean they will be available immediately ... or will I have to 'please allow 28 days for delivery' or something?

The reason for me asking is because I will be buying one in New York even though I live in Amsterdam. So I would have to book the ticket :) I won't do this ofcourse, unless I have actually purchased and have a confirmed delivery date ... but I was just wondering, 'just so I know'.

18. macrumors 68030

DeltaMac

I can confirm that Macbidouille has a poor track record for their rumors (of course, they throw a lot of rumors out there, so some rumors do turn out OK) Don't set your clock (or purchase airline tickets) on the basis of rumors! At least you will have a clue when Apple actually announces anything (sometimes immediately available, more often there is an announced delay) the only real news is when you have the unit in your hand!

19. macrumors member

shipped in 3 days

A friend who just bought a 15.2" PB got hers in 3 days... this all happened a week ago. It shipped faster than an iPod in the same order.

20. macrumors member

I am jack's emotional yo-yo.

21. macrumors 6502

Deplay? The opposite of replay? Thats hilarious. Too bad there's no such word as deplay. The word that was meant to be used is 'delay'. It is merely a spelling error.

22. macrumors newbie

What in the world do you mean :confused:

23. macrumors member

From the movie fight club.
    Throughtout the movie the voiceover keeps saying things like "I am jack's spleen".

So, in regards to powerbook update rumors- I am Jack's emotional yo-yo.
    Meaning I am happy then sad, happy then sad.

Kinda loses any semblance of humour during explanation. But then, was it ever funny to begin with? :p

_f

24. macrumors regular

Yes it was! And I got the reference!

Anything for you, sir!

25. macrumors 6502

"snetence"? "deplay"? where am I?