6 week delay on a new PB 1.25 GHz..) Why

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tobeupat4am, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Tobeupat4am macrumors newbie

Have just been informed by Apple (Australia) there is a 6-7 week delay on new PowerBooks.

I had just ordered a new one through an Apple Retailer and could not get a delivery date from them , now I find it is 6-7 weeks from now (delivery mid Feb 04)for a BTO, or 3-4 weeks for an off The Shelf.(end of Jan 04)

Delays normally upset me, for some reason I am thinking G5 processor has now been modified to go inot a PB, or at very least significant changes on the pB range.. so I am smiling :D at this delay.

Any thoughts or similar experiences in other countries.

2. Wren macrumors regular

It may well be a blessing in disguise!!--- Remember the MWSF is coming up in a few weeks. Could this mean a major upgrade on the new AlPowerbooks? IT's been almost a year since Steve Jobs introduced the 12 and 17 AlPowerbooks and decreed that 2003 will be the year of the laptops! :)

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I dont think so

I put an order in for a 15" ALPB on Dec 23 and its arriving on Tue Dec 30 by 10:30am. Plus i just checked the Apple Store and it says 3-5 days on new powerbooks. So i dont know whats up with your delay.

BTW I got it BTO with a 5400rpm HD

4. Tobeupat4am thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition to 6 week delay..

The Apple person was also very very happy. Now I know Apple keeps a very tight ship as far as rumours go, even with it's staff, but if the problem had been, say a lack of displays or some other supply problem, normally you'd expect an almost apologetic response, not such a happy one that was almost indicating "you'll not be disappointed by this delay".

I guess even if the staff are not informed, they have been through the same thing before and "know" what such a delay may mean. So tie that delay in with the USA Rebate on older PBs, the recent reduction in price on the G5 PMs, the announcement that IBM will being using cooler G5s in their servers,I tend to think that whether a MWSF announcement or a special "Tuesday" one, this demay will be a "blessing" as Wren indicated above.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Not sure what you're talking about. When I add a 15" Powerbook to my shopping cart, I get 3-5 days for stock, 5-7 days for a BTO.

6. Tobeupat4am thread starter macrumors newbie

Aussie web site says 10-11 days, but staff twice say 6-7 weeks?

Just did the same as previous post, and web site on Apple Store (Australia) says 10-11 days for BTO, but had called the Apple Sales twice, and told the same by two reps, 6-7 weeks BTO, and 3-4 weeks standard?

I do not know why. Could they be holding back stock just for US market and the $700 trade in?

I will be upset if delay is only an Australian thing and no updates, just a delay, as really need asap for a new Jan client. (but if a model change, can put up with the hassle)

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Only delay I have is a customs delay

FedEX tracking currently says that my Powerbook is in Ancourage Alaska after being delayed by customs, and also being delayed in Tiawan, how long does a package usually take to clear customs and do they usually ship from Tiawan to Alaska or is there another route that FedEx takes. Im supposed to get my Powerbook by 10:30am on Tuesday morning, so hopefully it will leave Alaska or has already left and just isnt being listed by FedEx.

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Once they get into the Untited States, they travel pretty quickly. When I got my refurb computer from apple, it was in Sacramento one day, and the next day they posted that it wsa in Hartford, so they only update it when it gets to a stop. I even got my computer two days before the expected delivery date.

9. Paolo30 macrumors member

there have been a few problems with the rev A 15", namely the screens. The last time I talked to AppleCare about the *third* screen on my ALPB they told me that there were plenty of screens in Oz, but no machines. I read this as being because they want to fix the faulty machines already out there and not let any more rev A's into market.
    I TRULY hope they get this thing fixed with rev B. I'm getting a bit tired of having the machine fixed every two weeks.
    So let us pray.
    Our Apple, who art in Cupertino,
    Hallowed be thy OS.
    Thy 15" come,
    Thy will be done
    on rev B
    as it is in every other fricking machine on earth with a properly functioning screen.

10. Tobeupat4am thread starter macrumors newbie

Buying Apple PB Overseas? Is Applecare Then Valid in Home Country?

1. I was told last last week 6-7 week delay in Australia for BTO 15" PB with 1 GB Ram, and 5400 rpm HD. (Or 3-4 weeks if standard configuration). I had hoped this may mean an announcement due at MWSF, but seems no such delays in USA or UK, and even Apple's Aussie online store says 9-11 working days.

2. Also, with our exchange rate now, when converted to Aussie $, would save approx $2000 (Aust) if purchased in USA. Certainly pays for airfare.

Aussie price $A 6486.01 with Applecare, USA price $U 3224.00 (converted on todays rates = $A 4298.00)

Does anyone know if OK to buy OS and is Applecarebthen valid in county you live in if purchased OS?

Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am meant to be in US next week for a conference (not MWSF) and needed a PB there, now at best, i can at least take my software and data over on CD/DVD and configure if I buy PB in US

11. Tobeupat4am thread starter macrumors newbie

Retailer now says within 7 days :)

Been a long road coming, but thought I had better finalise this post.

Retailer contacted me on Friday 16th to tell me should be delivered within 7 days, but still no firm delivery date from Apple.

If it does it will have taken 6 weeks, and had I known that to start, I may have opted for off the shelf and update later, or seen difference in time for a 17", but will be happy if it arrives arrived (as expected now this week??)

I still do not now why my order seems longer then anyone elses

If any announcenment tomorrow (Wed Sydney time) re updated PBs, may cancel and wait again if significant change or mine not to be updated, but if only speed bump to 1.33 , would not bother delaying anymore.

Will check Apple website overnight here and see if changes to spec or "off line"