60 gig hard drive in the ibook is this enough space?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 16, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I have the option to either buy the ibook from the store and get it now with a 60 gig hard drive or order it online and get it with an 80 gig hard drive and blue tooth. What would you guys do? Is 60 gigs gonna be enough space? For comparison right now i just clicked my c drive properties on my pc and im only using 34 gigs of space and i have a ton of stuff on here, about 2500 songs,lots of pics,studio mx,office 2004,war craft 3,photoshop,aol 9.0,win mx,yahoo mess,aim mess,msn mess,i tunes, i also will be keeping the desktop pc for a long time so i dont need the ibook to be my primary hard drive but i will be using the ibook for office,itunes,maybe a few games,and saving papers over the next few years in college.Also and external hd is not something i want to get.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I don't remember how much the upgrade from 60GB to 80GB is, but consider to get an external HD instead. External HDs will give you 160GB to 500GB extra for a bit more than you pay for the extra 20GB.

When I bought my powerbook 20GB extra costed only about $100 less than getting a 250GB LaCie.

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

Based on what you have right now, yes, 60 Gig is enough. I have a 60 gig hd on my iBook and an 80 Gig on my PC. As for Bluetooth, I highly recommend getting it for connection between wireless mice, keyboards, and other computers/cell phones etc. I really regret not getting Bluetooth on my iBook...

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'd definately go for the built-in Bluetooth. It comes in handy for all sorts of things, especially wireless input devices: no hassle of plugging something into USB. And while you're at it, I'd grab the extra HD space. Although it doesn't sound like you need it, if you can afford it, why not? I recommend getting a laptop specced' out to the max of your budget because they're difficult and expensive to upgrade.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How long is a piece of string?

It completely depends on your archiving/backup 'philosophy', for want of a better word.

Some people have their entire digital life on their HD without ever backing up :eek:

...some move completed projects onto good quality media. Apart from MP3s, I only have about 8-10gb on my drive at any point. Completed work is burned onto CD/DVD and removed...

Whatever your strategy, backups are crucial. All it takes is one complete HD f**kup and you'll be glad you backed up your data, regardless of time & expense...

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Save your money

I have the 60gig HD in my ibook and after a clean install/custom (I don't need some of what comes on the ibook) and 3-4gigs of music and photos I still have 42-43gigs left.
    I feel save the money and you can buy an ext. 80gig for $100 thus you end up with more for close to the same cost. Its $75 to upgrade? :cool:
    Well thats what I'll be doing but I also don't need the extra space built into my ibook. Either way you will most enjoy :D

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

the 60GB HDD upgrade is worth it the 80GB HDD upgrade is not.

Get BlueTooth if you want to use a BT mouse and or keyboard.

Get a 3rd party 1Gig ram stick and you are set.

If you know how to customize the OS for you needs I suggest to erase the factory OS settings and install the OS from the disc with what you need for example if you do not need or use iDVD, do not install it, same with iPhoto or GarageBand. If you want to play with it and later on decide you do not need it erase it. The custom install of OS X.3 should only take ~2GB it should leave you enough room to install games and such.

And make sure to do a personal inspection of the entire system when arrives. I have a problem free iBook for now, hope this record stays as such since any Apple or other company computer product could fail on you so cross you fingers that you have a "Perfect" iBook experience. :)

8. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

^^^

Well that is true, its still capable of playing Chess. :)

Even a powerbook and eMac are out of the question. :)

That leave you with the iMac G5 and its noise issues along with upgrading the ram for decent game play or a PMG5 that should be updated soon.

Well no option there might as well wait. :)

10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I regret not getting internal bluetooth in my iBook also. Get internal bluetooth.

lasuther

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

No need for regret BlueTooth will be standard on iBooks in they next revision sometime march-april 2005. :)

12. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How many songs is 3-4 gigs of music? How much space does the clean install leave you with as apposed to the regualr install of osx that the ibook comes with and after that how much actual available hd space?

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

1. Depends on your encoding settings. 1000 songs is the iPod Mini's rating... that is a 4GB drive.

2. OS X has a few different options. The BSD subsystem is one of them, and that comes standard but isn't a requirement. It is a good idea, however, as a few apps require it. OS X I believe has a footprint of ~6 GB.

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Every HDD marked space is never what you get so, the 60GB HDD already uses 4.88GB of space. Leaving the rest about 55.77GB on the HDD to install Mac OS X.7. Put it this way if you do not use Garagebad, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, the language translation package, and so forth you should have about 53.89GB free HDD space to work with. That is pretty good considering its a 60GB HDD. :)

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The BT is a must, i wouldn't get any more RAM at this stage - wait a year and buy a 1GB DIMM.

Of course theres always the new Powerbooks in the new year if you can wait/save a bit more.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a 60gig harddrive in my powerbook, i did a custom install, i dont have garageband or idvd installed, and i only had the language i needed installed, i also have about 14 gigs of music and about 50apps loaded on this, in addition to a couple thousand photos, and i have 30.61 gigs left over still....so i think the 60gig would work for you, especially since you have another computer

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I got a GIG of Ram for my iBook for 181 USD which includes shipping and taxes, is that so bad at present i mean in a year how much lower will it go for maybe 140 USD including shipping and taxes then again that is a year weight and many technology advances can be made by then.

BT is good if you need it or plan on using it. :)

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have a 20GB iPod for my music and burn an Optical back-up, so I still have about 45GB left. :)

19. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

If you aren't doing digital video or heavy photography, and your computer won't have multiple users, 60 GB should be enough.

I'd go for the Bluetooth, though....it's harder to add after the fact (without a stick-out dongle, anway).

20. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

60 gig are OK, just get BT...

I'm typing on my BT keyboard... Looking forward to get iCurve, will start hard typing work by next week and the BT fits my needs. <steve>BT is amazing, I hope you will love it as much as we do </steve> :D

21. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

22. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Umm no.....

Harddrives dont "use" space up. They are marketed as 60GB where 1GB = 1,000,000bytes. Where in reality, 1GB is actually more then 1,000,000bytes( I forget exactly how many bytes there in a gigabyte)

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

1024MB :)