60+ novice w/ Powerbook G3-10.2.8 H-E-E-L-L-L-P

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lizisunreal, May 31, 2006.

1. Lizisunreal macrumors newbie

There are too many issues to cover in one session. So, these are three to get started with:

1:In the desktop menu bar, "Tools" doesn't contain items that should be there. For instance, it has among other things: Track Auction, Action Manager, & MSN Hotmail. Is there a way to correct this?

2:My children had some memory added before giving me this Mac. But
    any time I try to download something it tells me there is no place to put it. It appears the Macintosh HD is the only place for downloads to go. Could I clean out some useless "stuff" and make space?

3:One of the applications that doesn't work is Classic. It is programed to activate when I reboot. The message I get is, "Select a folder for classic". When I try to do that, (I'm sorry, I can't remember what folder I go to. I've got to learn to take notes.), it tells me, "There is no volume with a system folder that supports starting Classic". The book I bought for help, "Mac OS X fast & easy", states that classic must load in Mac OS X. In the books illustrations the Mac HD and Mac OS X are two separate hard-drives.??

I'll go in and try to get more details if that will help to resolve some of this.

Thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you mean the Finder menu bar, there is no Tool pull-down. The only one I can think of is possibly in IE for the Mac. Is that what you're refering to?

You may be confusing terms here. It's likely the memory added by your kids was RAM, not to be confused with the hard drive space. I suspct what you might be missing in the save dialogue box is a little triangle (see attachment A), if you click that, you should be given more options for where to download things. Your Desktop or a folder on your Desktop called Downloads (that you create) would be a good place.

Unless you have applications that REQUIRE Classic, then there's no reason in the world to run it. Unfortunately, I've not used Jaguar (10.2) in a long time so I'm out of practice, but there should be a Classic preference pane in the System Preferences where you can stop it from trying to run everytime you login. Otherwise, it's completely safe to ignore this.

Attached Files:

3. Lizisunreal thread starter macrumors newbie

60+w/ Powerbook....

Thanks Yellow. I'm glad I'm old enough that being computer illiterate is just something else good to look forward to instead of something to be embarrassed about.

I look forward to trying another download to see where your advise leads me.

By by Classic!!!!

I'll get back with you on some of my other issues.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, just realized I never attached the attachment (but have done so now).

5. Lizisunreal thread starter macrumors newbie

60+with Powerbook G3 in trouble again.

Got software updates downloaded, found more software updates; hit "inactive" button by accident. What do I do now? All those updates (15) are sitting on my desktop...little open boxes.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's no need.. just go to the System Preferences and go to Software Update. It will download and install all the necessary OS updates/security patches available for your computer. Please note that since you're running Jaguar there won't be that many that are up-to-date, since that hasn't been the defacto OS for 3 or 4 years.