60 or 80GB HD for 12" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnnyjibbs, Sep 18, 2003.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Hi all,

This is my first post and I am about to get my first Mac!

I am about to buy the 12" PB superdrive. I'd like to edit video, etc so I want as big a hard drive as I can get. On the Apple Education store, it is £37 to upgrade to 60GB (no brainer) and a further £45 to upgrade to 80GB.

My question - does a larger hard drive (i.e. 80 GB) have adverse effects on battery life and/or heat? I've heard a lot about heat issues on the old 12" (although, the one I've seen in the store I would only describe as "warm") and I was wondering if the 80 GB HD would run too hot?

By the way, I think this update is great - USB 2, faster superdrive (2x), twice the L2 cache (which means the L3 performance gap between the 12" and its bigger brothers is reduced), cooler, better processor, better graphics, DVI!

Any insights?

2. legion macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    There is really no measurable heat or power differences between the two hard drives.

That being said, if you are needing the larger drive for video editing, you'll want to use an external media (firewire) hard drive. Your performance will be impacted if you use the system drive as the media drive as well (plus you need scratch space for compositing, etc.)