$600 for 4GB, 500GB HD Lenovo. Did I just waste my money buying a Mac Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kulimer, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kulimer, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

macrumors 6502

I just bought a Mac Air 13", and saw the Lenovo website, Look at this, Lenovo is selling laptops for about $600(website below). You have

4GB ram
    500GB Hard drive
    intel Core i7, NOT i5 :)
    brand new windows 7
    6 hrs battery
    14" HD screen

I see what Mac is offering, but with that money, I can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and still got money for another one. I am just like WOW.

Here is the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=9F4D9F1B85C24267B579D9A60A9BDD25

Edit: I actually didn't factor in the cost in Apple softwares, since for windows you pretty much get everything for free after buying to laptop. More money out of my pocket?

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

These price comparison threads are nothing new

HD v SSD
    Win7 v OSX
    Form factor
    Quality

The list goes on and on and on

If you prefer the Lenovo, get one
    My money goes for a Mac always

3. macrumors 6502a

nebulos

sorry, try again.

the page says "up to i7". configure it with the i7 and look at the price. also look at the weight.

... for starters.

4. macrumors 6502

happyslayer

The question is not the specs--although the Air has better specs for its size & weight--the question is whether you care about running OSX. If so, then the Air is the best or maybe only choice. If running OSX is not that big a deal for you, then get the Lenovo.

Personally, I have worked with or services A LOT of different laptops. Nothing is as slick, well-built, thin & light as the Air and it runs OSX, my OS of choice.

5. macrumors 603

blueroom

Windows is a poor mobile OS as it'll keep the fans running. I'd stick with a MacBook and OSX any day.

6. macrumors 6502a

jca24

7. kulimer, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

thread starter macrumors 6502

Lots of windows converts are in here, but people are still attached to windows. There is a huge demand for dual boot and parallel. I do see OSX is on the rise, but still have lots of compatibility issues.

At a quick glance, I see 2 people asking for windows on Mac:
    1. Dual Boot Windows Off USB http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1232913
    2. Windows 8 on 2010 11" Air http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1228895

Anyways, I'll get back on topic.

8. macrumors 6502

Erm...no? It runs when it needs to, just like OSX. There are also many 3rd party programs that allow you to configure fan speeds to your liking...just like OSX.

9. macrumors regular

Just a few things I noticed from the specs you listed:

• Where do you see an i7 model that's $600? I see two i3 models for around $550 and $600. The i7 is a $295 upgrade. Not to mention that i3-2310M is also one of the weakest Sandy Bridge mobile processors available.
    • The 14" screen is the same resolution as the 11" Macbook Air. So the 13" model still has a better display, even though it's slightly bigger.
    • All the Macbook Airs use SSDs, and they are not cheap. There's no option to upgrade the hard drive on the Lenovo to an SSD. If there was, it would bring up the price substantially.
    • That laptop weighs about 2x more than the Air. You're paying extra for the ultraportability of the air.

Even with all that, you could still say the Macbook Airs are pricey. But you get what you pay for. So no. You didn't waste your money. Enjoy your Air and don't have any doubts/remorse.

10. macrumors 6502

Slow hard drive, twice the weight, worse battery life. You are comparing a piece of crap to a gold standard. Yea, it is $600, for a reason.

11. Brandon0448, Sep 22, 2011

macrumors regular

Brandon0448

Haha so does OSX, at no point while you are running you macbook will the fans not be on. Windows is just as good of an operating system. It will do everything OSX does and some. It all comes down to preference.

I think the Macbook Air is one of the few devices Apple has made this is actually price competitive with other devices that are on par with its specs. Look at any of the Windows ultraportables and while they have a cheaper starting price once you get the hardware equal they will have very similar price. But the Macbook will always be lighter and sleeker (so far).

12. KPOM, Sep 22, 2011

macrumors G4

The E420 isn't comparable to the MacBook Air. The closest one on that website is the E220. Equip the E220 with the 1.5GHz i7 (which is still slower than the base i5 in the 13" MacBook Air and comparable to the 1.6GHz i5 in the 11"), a 128GB SSD, and Bluetooth, and the price jumps to $1020 after the promotion. Not bad, but it is much closer to the $1199 price of the 11" Air that gets you a similar screen and a lighter machine.

13. macrumors regular

I'm a recent Mac convert. If there is one thing I have learned it is that trying to compare a Windows-based machine with a Mac on a Mac forum is probably pointless.

While I agree there are aspects of Mac OSX that I enjoy there are features that I miss from Windows (snap window feature for e.g.).

There are people who will always blindly go with Apple (the majority of them are on this site) despite there being a better alternative (read: cost-effective).

To address your point though, no you didn't waste your money UNLESS you are only using your notebook as a desktop replacement computer that never leaves your house and you only email/word process on it. Then yes you did. If you travel and do any moderate computing tasks you will like the Air. I know I do.

14. macrumors regular

DJBBOX

i think this is a no brainer. i don't see any room for comparison at all. MBA is as sexy and fast as it gets in that form factor.

15. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Yes you did. But not because the Lenova is a better value... It's because you got the wrong machine for you. If you are questioning your Mac over a Windows computer you aren't ready to be in the Apple ecosystem. Most users on this site have multiple Apple devices; Atv, ipad, ipod, multiple macs. Having one Apple device is a good start not a good value.

16. macrumors regular

Blah blah blah.

But, for rayjay86, check out bettertouchtool, it'll let you do the windows snap thing, and about a million other things too, and the price can't be beat

17. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

I couldn't disagree with you more, if he is questioning if his dollar was well spent he is being a good consumer, obviously what you aren't. The majority of people don't want to waste their hard earned money by just throwing stacks of cash at anything with an apple on the back of it. The majority of Apple products are ridiculously overpriced and I will personally never own them. I have a Macbook Air and a iPhone 4 because I think both of these products were very reasonably priced and I love them.

18. macrumors 65816

marzer

Disagree! Questioning if your dollar WILL be well spent is being an wary, prudent consumer. Questioning if your dollar WAS well spent is being an "idiot."

19. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

Same concept, you can always return your product if you feel your dollar was not well spent.

20. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Only 6 hours? Does it run OS X?

21. macrumors 6502a

If you feel convinced that the macbook air was not worth the price, and you feel your money would have been better spent somewhere else, than why are you even asking if you wasted money? Of course you did.

I however, think that lenovo is a waste of money. $600 is a lot, and I could find a number of better places to spend it on then a lenovo.

22. macrumors 6502

I will never get another windows laptop not matter how cheap they are. I can't believe the amount of crap I was willing to put up with on a daily basis.

23. MrXiro, Sep 22, 2011

macrumors 68030

MrXiro

First... you don't know me so don't judge people you don't know.

I'm a very very frugal consumer... but I go in KNOWING I am spending more on Apple Products... I spent 797 on my MBA a good 200 under retail and besides my iPad I don't spend retail on my Apple products. I buy Apple products because I like the integration and ease of use. I certainly know how to get all my windows products to play nice... but I don't like the futzing that is involved at times.

Let's face it... most people buy Apple products to be trendy... I know iPhone users who don't put music or videos on it or use any apps... what's the point? They just have it because it's trendy. But when you're being trendy it's not about having the best deal. Which is what this OP seems to be discussing... yes the Lenova is easier on the wallet, but it doesn't run OSX, which should be the KEY reason to own a Mac... not cause it's great looking or "a good deal"

For this reason alone I am answering his question:
    "Did I just waste my money buying a Mac Air"

In context of a Lenova computer it's a very solid YES because he isn't ready for a Mac; be in financially, technologically or whatever reason.

24. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

If everybody thought the way you do there would be absolutely no competition and we'd all be paying outrageous prices for computers. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

The iPhone is NOT reasonably priced compared to some Android phones... at best it's on par price wise but I'm sure I can find a similarly spec'd Android device for cheaper than the equivalent iPhone (3Gs,4, etc)

You also fall in the "owning more than one Apple device" crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.