Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I can only speak for myself, but I'm feeling very positive about the future of Apple!
I expect a (true) video iPod & an iPod phone @ some stage!

I believe it's only a matter of time, and will happen eventually!:D

maleheffer

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2006
~Shard~ said:
I wouldn't get too excited over this just yet. Obviously something is coming, however if only the 60 GB model has been identified, then to me that points to a capacity upgrade, not a complete redesign (i.e. touch screen) - otherwsie, Apple would have included the 30 GB model in this as well.
Or maybe, the 30 gig will stay, and it will look like this:

60/80gig iPodAv

30gig iPod w/ Video

1/2/4/8gig iPod Nano

1/2gig iPod Shuffle

would this be feasible?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
There are video players out now with 100gigs and some people even then find space to be a little cramp. The highest I have seen so far in the flash market is 6gb and that's the new sandisk player. So I don't think the nano will hit 8gigs for a while.

coreybox

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2005
asxtb said:
Well, by that definition, is there anything that does become obsolete. My family has a old Gateway 2000 computer, a whopping 75mhz! It still does what it was bought to do, so that must mean it is not obsolete. We also have Compaq that doesn't even turn on. That I call broken, not obsolete.

Edit: The definition of obsolete via Dashboard reads: 'no longer produced or used.' Does Apple still produce 4G iPods?

Well, if you use dashboards definition then you could call it 'obsolete'. BUT as far as the computer goes....it depends what you bought it for. 75mhz can't really do much ANYTHING anymore, where as a new iPod does basically the same thing. A 250Gen iPod will not play my AAC files any better than the one i've got right now....

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
dictionary.com says obsolete means either no longer in use or outmoded (I don't have a paper dictionary handy). I pretty much agree. A 1G ipod is not obsolete- it's still in use, and it's not really outmoded. It can still function as it was meant to. An apple 1 on the other hand is no longer used by basically anybody and it's basically completely outmoded in construction, design, etc.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
maleheffer said:
Or maybe, the 30 gig will stay, and it will look like this:

60/80gig iPodAv

30gig iPod w/ Video

1/2/4/8gig iPod Nano

1/2gig iPod Shuffle

would this be feasible?
I would say not. It's a little more complicated than Apple seems to like. I'd say it would be more like this;
  • 80 GB iPod AV
  • 30 GB iPod (the current model)
  • 1/2/4 GB iPod Nano
  • 1 GB iPod Shuffle

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Well, I just hope they keep the new AVs thin. Watching all my friends with their "thin" ipods made me look at my 60 photo ipod with disgust. ruins the beauty aspect of apple-made products. its really annoying to put in your pockets too (without the iskin, no less).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
bloodycape said:
I don't get the obsession over thin prodducts. Many of us have phones bigger than our dap players and yet most are not complaining?
That's why they are making phones smaller also. ;)
Picture 1.png

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Yeah but I hear that phone was just average. My phone is currently .5mm bigger than my A2 video player. And I don't have to worry about some of the problems Nano or 5g iPod owners have with it cracking. I guess it's a double edge sword there.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
MacMosher said:
Thats a pretty terrible mock up ahaha, the ideal looks alrigh except it would be awful hard to click on anything there in itunes with your finger :p

Hey! Took me 19 hours! Ok maybe not. The idea is that you use the click wheel to control the song/volume/speed, etc. And I didnt show this, but you'd use 2 fingers to scroll up and down, or left and right, through iTunes. It would be very easy I think.

maverick18x

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
$499 price point

I think an important thing to note is that with the new Mac Minis starting at $599, the $499 price point becomes open. No one wants to buy an iPod the price of a computer, right?

Now, as is, I don't think Apple is willing to extend the iPod's pricing that far. However, the patents filed recently suggest this new iPod could have an entirely different UI, leading to many new features.

Apple puts the 60GB on the "at risk" list, which would leave the $399 price point open, too. The 30GB iPod with video is still around, leaving recent buyers less disgruntled. They did this a year ago with the iPod 4G and iPod Photo. Does anyone remember the price points durring this time?

I would not be surprised to see some sort of iPod with some tablet-style features at $399 and $499 price points around April 1st. Maybe 40 and 80GB?

Wishful thinking?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
maverick18x said:
Apple puts the 60GB on the "at risk" list, which would leave the $399 price point open, too. The 30GB iPod with video is still around, leaving recent buyers less disgruntled. They did this a year ago with the iPod 4G and iPod Photo. Does anyone remember the price points durring this time?
I think the iPod 4G was $299 and the Photo was $399.

maverick18x

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
Price Points

EricNau said:
I think the iPod 4G was $299 and the Photo was $399.

I just checked. The 20GB iPod 4G was $299, the 30GB iPod Photo was $349 and the 60GB iPod Photo was $449. Maybe the 30GB iPod with video will stay at $299, and the new iPods come in at $399 and $499.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
maverick18x said:
I just checked. The 20GB iPod 4G was $299, the 30GB iPod Photo was $349 and the 60GB iPod Photo was $449. Maybe the 30GB iPod with video will stay at $299, and the new iPods come in at $399 and $499.
I remeber seeing the 60 at 400.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
MacQuest said:
The high-end iPod with video playback capability was introduced 6 months ago, in October. We probably won't see another revision to the high-end iPod after the upcoming one [touchscreen or not] until October or near the holidays.

There are your 2 revisions in 1 year. No more, no less.

lorien said:
You can't count an anniversary event with decadal increment in the iPod cycle statistic.

You can if the "anniversary event with decadal increment" happens to fall within the same timelline as the normal "iPod cycle statistic".

In other words, 6 months is fairly normal for a major iPod update or revision, and within the next 3 weeks will have been 6 months since the last one.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I got mine for 420..(so 450 was standard) I have an online reciept to prove. I bought mine under the educational discount, and it turned out to be about 451 (not much of a discount compared to retail..)

Item Product Product Description Total Total Unit Extended
Number Ordered Shipped Price Price
001 P9830LL/A IPOD PHOTO 60G-PERSONALIZ 1 1 419.00 419.00
SerialNo.: ( JQ5141ZRSB1 )

Subtotal 419.00
Tax 32.48
Shipping Charges
TOTAL USD 451.48

Questions? Call 800-676-2775 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm CT

Salesperson Contact Entry Date Ship Date Routing Waybill Number
BD 04/13/05 04/13/05 FEDERAL EXPRESS 701854909558

Billed To: Credit Card

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Proud Liberal said:
But I really think that a "true video iPod" won't carry the iPod in the name if it's more of a dedicated video player.

Agreed. Yet I do believe that it will still be a "Pod" product and possibly retain Pod in the name, the same way I believe that the "i" will be dropped from iMac on the next major design revision.

Apple's all about Macs and Pods right now, hopefully more :) . I hope that when they introduce their clipboard sized pda/tablet hybrid, that they capitalize on both Mac and Pod product lines with this revolutionary new product and Call it either a MacPod, or maybe even MacPad [since Pad can also spell pda and can be considered somewhat of a tablet on which you could write on].

Since early '04 when Apple launched it's "iPod division" I've always said that that was just a front for the development of the other "digital lifestyle devices" that SJ promised us would be coming from Apple back in '01 when the iPod was introduced.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
ipodrocker said:
this is really odd and interesting news. Firstly my 3rd gen recently broke and i have been saving for the 5 gen 60 gb ipod as i have lots of music and like the idea of putting video on it and pictures.

i have almost saved for the new iPod so will it be wise to wait til after april 1 as that is only 2 weeks away!!!!

suggestions????

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, YES!!!

:D

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
Predictions

With all this talk of iPod this and touchscreen that... i think i shall throw in my 2 cents worth of predictions (or wishes)... and they are as follows, in no particular keynote-delivered order...

1. Launch of Movie downloading service of some type.... Disney and all its friends to pioneer this feature... in conjuction with an update to front Row "2.0" or whatever not as a entire revamp, but as an added layer to the existing FR, and either as a free upgrade for those with intel machines or G5 iMacs with front row... or as a paid software bundle ($29 or something small like that) avaliable to anyone with 10.4. This way if you want a beefier media center, toss 'em 30 bux and have at it.. no matter what kind of computer you have.

2. Launch of Special Edition iPod AV (video iPod.. duh) with all the already-heard-about features that are in countless threads including this one. But in 30 and 60GB, or maybe 40 and 80 GB capacities. This way.. they will leave the 30 GB 5gen where is is for those who just want music... and anyone who wants video primarily can get the 30/60GB special edition video. This will be special edition until it winds up in some new category much later.. but I think Apple will not stray too far away from the actual tactical click wheel for the majority of iPods, since a virtual click wheel is so impractical for EVERYONE but those watchin movies.

3. *this is one thing i have not heard anyone mention(not to say that it hasnt been mentioned).. and its a definite wish moreso than a prediction... but I think, since they like releasing special edition stuff, and its their anniversary and all.. and the iMac is their baby and all.... they should come out with the iMac SE... basically, a 23" cinema display with the guts of a 17 or 20" imac core duo built in. Keep it flat (as opposed to thicker in the middle, thinner on the edges), its already thick enough seems like, with no extra space underneth the screen.. hell, make it a lil thicker to fit in the drive and all. Pop a lil DVD drive slit in the side of it, a slit for the heat across the back of it... and the holes of a Powemac under the bottom for the speakers, and air intake. Hell, you could even make the holes on the sides of it, so it would be uniform silver, and have the slit for the disc still in the same place, and all the air could be sucked from the lower sides, and the speakers on the mid or upper sides... Add an iSight on the top of the bezel.. and call it a $1999 knock out.. them things will fly off the shelves. And if they wanted to really spice things up, make the keyboard and mouse match... with the silver plastic they make powerbook/macbook keyboard keys out of....... i mean, you know they can do it if they want. that would be only adding 700 bux to the price of the 23" cinema display as it is... and it could be a limited thing in case its impractical from a business and profit standpoint... that is.. unless if took off (as i think it would)

food for thought!

wow, that was a long post.... sorry.. but a man can wish

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
sushi said:
Yes.

Sustained transfer speeds are much different. Firewire is much faster over time.

This is a hardware issue and how USB is supported/implemented.

janstett said:
Also, if I'm not mistaken, FireWire is "smarter" like SCSI as far as drive control being isolated to the device, whereas USB is dependent on the host CPU for processing. Ever tried to copy large amounts of data between two USB drives? It slows to a crawl and eats CPU.

Basically, Firewire is a superior data transfer protocol to USB because it uses [non speed degrading] peer-to-peer data tranfer rather than USB's master/slave data transfer.

The "Firewire is much faster over time" comment made by sushi and the "FireWire is "smarter" like SCSI as far as drive control being isolated to the device" comment by janstett is summed up this way:

- Firewire = peer-to-peer data transfer
- USB = master/slave data transfer

The problem with master/slave device relationships is that the data transfer rate degrades with each device added to the USB daisy chain.

USB allows up to 127 devices to be connected in a device chain, but Firewire allows 60-something devices to be connected but with no [or at least significantly less] data transfer speed loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.