64-bit computing and OSX - NOT!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3G4N, May 18, 2005.

1. 3G4N macrumors regular

OK, so here's a little article talking about Cinema4D, the
    runner up to Maya, and how they just came out with a
    64-bit version, but it's for Windows only! MacOXS GUI apps
    (aka anything made with Cocoa or Carbon) are limited
    to 32-bit -- NO 64-bit support. These G5's aren't getting
    used to nearly their full potential. Thanks Apple!!!?!

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/05/18/64.bit.cinema4d/

What's up with Tiger? I thought it would be 64-bit ready
    sometime in its lifetime. Is there any point to waiting for
    10.5? Why wouldn't they have done that already, rather
    than throw resources into all the fluffy parts of Tiger?
    Are we sitting on dual 64-bit processors, or what?

Thanks for letting me get that out. Phew!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You could look at the dozen or so threads that have already addressed this issue.

However, Apple has addressed the issue where it will do the most good initially. It's the back end of any application that needs to be 64-bit, not the GUI.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

My god! My GUI runs at 32 Bit! Ahhh - so..... slow.
    Good thing the actual calculations are done in 64 :D

4. unixkid macrumors member

the UI is 32-bit. calculations in 64-bit apps ARE 64-bit!

5. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I think it will be a few years until true 64-bit computing comes into maturity. For example, the iMac G5's processor, in theory, is capable of 64-bit computing. In reality, no, not at all; the physical RAM limitations make it impossible.

Be patient, we'll get there.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

64-bit

It's not an all or nothing deal on the G5. Panther, and more so in Tiger, allows 32-bit apps to access 64-bit libraries and plugins, ala the 64-bit G5 plugin for Photoshop. Even Panther had 64-bit/G5 (hardware square root) optimized math libraries. Non-GUI apps on Tiger can be pure 64-bit apps, meaning 64-bit native integers and 64-bit memory pointers. In addition, Core Graphics (Quartz 2D Extreme and Quartz Extreme) and Core Image in Tiger are moving a majority of the GUI operations to the GPU, so who needs a 64-bit GUI? The GPU (modern) can perform these operations a sh*t load faster than *any* CPU, whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

Given how you (OP) have your panties in a wad over this, you might try doing some reading before you go screaming about being cheated, some how.

7. 3G4N thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, I was semi-flamebaiting and overstating my position, and...

The libraries are all and good, but I'm just saying, coming down the road here, when they start releasing 64-bit versions of AfterEffects, Combustion, 3D apps, or any other titles which could really use 64-bit processing, the mac developers are going to be ham-strung, hand-tied, or made to program through the nose, as is evidenced with C4D. (???) I guess the question I'm asking here, is this going to make it a pain for companies (&developers) to make 64-bit apps on OSX? Enough so as to prevent the 64bit mac version?

Sure, for the faceless renderfarms & servers, the 64-bit is there. It better be. But what about us faced workstation folk? I know the GUI (and many other tasks) don't need to be 64-bit. Come on. But to require everyday apps that have GUIs to spin off everything 64-bit to CLI-side apps is a shim-sham.

Could you post some of the URLs for the other 64-bit threads? I can't seem to find them using the forum search. TIA

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Did you not read this post!? Just cos the GUI is 32 bit, doesn't mean the app doesn't use the 64 bit capacity.