64-Bit Final Cut Studio Upgrade...when?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by netdog, Oct 4, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Hi,

Having a Core 2 Duo and given that I will be buying FCS at a non-upgradeable Higher Education discount, when is Apple likely to release a 64-bit version of this pro tool, and is it likely to require an upgrade or will it just be a downloadable free upgrade to registered FCS users?

Cheers!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I wouldn't expect to see any such change, if ever, until after Leopard is released.

The 64-bit support available in Tiger is PowerPC only, and is only indirectly available to GUI applications.

3. ammon macrumors regular

Not true. Leopard will have full 64-bit support for both PPC and Intel: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/64bit.html

"Leopard delivers 64-bit power in one, universal OS. Now Cocoa and Carbon application frameworks, as well as graphics, scripting, and the rest of the system are all 64-bit. Leopard delivers 64-bit power to both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs, so you don’t have to install separate applications for different machines."

Because Cocoa, Carbon and all graphics (Core Image) are all going to be 64-bit a full 64-bit version of FCS is just around the corner.

The 64-bit version will not be available as a download. The current version has been for 18 months now. I bet next spring they will release the next version that will require using Leopard. This version would need to be purchased.